Blood in stool and worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I went to the doctor a month or 2 ago complaining about pains in my stomach.

They done stool test which came back clear (test for chrons and Ulcerative colitis). However they done blood tests and it came back that my white blood cells were high (I think - there was a medical terms for it but I could not pronounce it or remember it). They said this could be due to an infection just and to get the bloods done again in a number of weeks.

I had to go back for a review and the Dr talked about IBS and the pains in my stomach could be from this. They felt my stomach and the Dr advised they didnt feel any masses or anything.

However recently I have started to see some blood in my stools - From looking there does not seem to be alot of it and would be hard to spot from first look and it does not seem to be everytime. However I seem to be passing alot of wind at night when in bed.

I looked online (I know I shouldnt have) and then started to worry with what the results were saying.

The next time I can see my doctor is in 2 weeks but just wondering should I make an urgent appointment for earlier?

I am 27 and have smoked circa 5 a day for the last 8 month but smoked socially before that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Blood in your stools can be a result of haemorrhoids or fissures from straining on the loo which is common with IBS. Since your doctor has mentioned IBS, this would suggest he or she is nor worried so this is good news for you. If there was any concern, you would have been sent for more tests. Do not try to self diagnose on google because this will cause anxiety. Instead, trust and believe your doctor, let him or her work out what is wrong and try to stay as calm as possible. Simply wait for your current appointment and monitor your stools. Two weeks is not a long time. If, however, you are too anxious to wait two weeks, phone your doctor and describe your worries You could ask for a cancellation appointment to reassure you. but it is really up to you and how anxious you feel. You may also have undigested food in your bowel movements which could be causing the red colour. Have you eaten anything that is red such as vegetables like peppers or tomatoes and cooked with red sauces?

If you are constipated, try lots of fruit and vegetables and maybe a stool softener to make your stools easier to pass. If you are indeed seeing blood, have you noticed if it is bright red? If it is, this is common with bleeding fissures or haemorrhoids. Gas is also very common with IBS. Even though my IBS is dormant, I still pass a lot of gas at all times of the day and night.

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly thanks for your reply!

It has helped to shed some light on it. I have to go back in 2 weeks for blood tests and was told to bring a stool sample. However I contacted my Dr and am hoping to drop a stool test in next week to see if there are any abnormalities.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

• Posted

I had similar tests to you as well as an ultrasound to examine my abdominal organs. They tested for celiac and did an h pylori and fecal calprotectin test (to look for IBD) via stool sample. Everything thankfully was negative. If all your tests are clear, it could be IBS which doesn't show on any scan or test.

• Posted

Hi could you please let me know what happens I have something similar now but with only a little bit of stomache pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.