Blood in stool still remains after Colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 18 years old. I've been suffering from abdominal pain for the last month and have also been having blood (dark and red colored) as well. I recently had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Both came out clear and was screened for Meckel's Diverticulum, which also came out negative. I am at a complete loss at the moment and have no idea what has been causing the bleeding and discomfort in my abdomen. I have been prescribed Ranitidine after doing a CBC and coming out fine. However, the pain still remains and blood is still present in my stool. Although the clear tests give me some confidence that the problem is not severe, the discomfort and blood still prove to me that something is wrong but not knowing what is still troubling me. I am grateful for any insight or similar experiences you can share.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joe, have you got hemorrhoids by any chance? As these can bleed quite a bit. Get your GP to check you out. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Joe,

Well obviously you are bleeding from somewhere. So, there are three possibilities: (1) they have missed a small site of bleeding. Endoscopes and colonoscopies are very good but they are not 100% perfect. (2) the bleeding is coming from the small intestine (which is smaller in width but much longer than the colon or large intestine). This is possible, particularly as darker blood suggests trouble further up the digestive tract than the colon. However, the small intestine is usually a less likely candidate for bleeding or (3) the bleeding is coming from another organ such as the liver - which at your age is again unlikely. You do not say how much blood you are passing. Is your red blood count normal? One way of dealing with (1) and (2) is to have Pill Cam where you swallow a tiny camera and it goes through your entire digestive tract. If you do that I would ask to take Dummy Cam a few days before to check there is no obstruction. Dummy Cam is very slightly bigger than Pill Cam (and unlike Pill Cam) dissolves after a period if it gets stuck. If Dummy Cam can get through then so can Pill Cam. Pill Cam is pretty easy. You wear a belt which receives constant images until it is finished so you don’t have to stay in hospital. Then you give it back to the hospital the next day. Results take 2-3 weeks but the quality of the film is brilliant and it goes through your whole digestive tract. Endoscopy and colonoscopy cannot reach the small intestine. If all that proves negative then I might opt for an MRI scan just to check your whole body. It’s unlikely to be anything really serious at your age but not worth taking risks where blood is involved! Good luck! David.

• Posted

I would go with hemorrhoids, I had a large bleeding polyp removed a few years back, I was made a emergency colonoscopy not so long ago as I had the same symptoms, dark red blood in stool.

Nothing was shown on the colonoscopy this time and was later diagnosed with grade 3 hemorrhoids. If you have been having abdominal pain I’m wondering if you have been struggling to go toilet with this? As if you have been feeling constipated on the loo you could of caused yourself hemorrhoids 

• Posted

Hemorrhoids have it checked too see if that is what it is and If it's not that then you will need too have your small intestine checked they will need too.run a scope down your throat for that to see. I had that done last year that's when they found bike in my stomach and it's all cleared up now. Done a colonoscopy in May this year has a 5 cm polyp which my only option was too have half of my colon removed and I done that last month. If I would have not had it done that polyp would have turned out being cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.