Blood in stools

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, as the title says, I have bright red coating of blood on my stools, also just before I pass a stool I get stabbing sharp pains in my abdomen.  I am going to the doctors tomorrow but I am worried that it might be bowel cancer.  Have anyone here had the same symptoms?  Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Don't go thinking the worst case scenario! Might be something very simple! My advice is always to have blood loss checked out but above all not to worry as that just makes you feel worse! Tell GP everything and he or she will advise you! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Posted

I know it's hard not to worry, I had similar and just had lots of benign polyps. My daughter has similar but far more severe symptoms, she's 5 and finally having a colonoscopy in 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Mel, the chances are greatly against it being cancer. I know it is a worry, your GP will send off bloods for testing and may suggest a colonoscopy. Try not to worry, there are quite a few conditions with these symptoms. Let us know how you get on. Sheila.
  • Posted

We all fear the worse.  You are doing the right thing in not ignoring your symptoms and going to your GP who is the only person to advise you.  Take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind comments.  I was unable to get a Doctors appointment today, so therefore I will have to wait till after the weekend now.  I'm fairly sure that he will send me for a colonoscopy, and I am terrified of that procedure, in fact I have a fear of all invasive procedures after having a very nasy experience when having my pacemaker fitted.  I suffer badly from anxiety, which I have medication for, but that doesn't help when it comes to having these procedures carried out.  I live in the UK and it seems to me that most hospitals don't want to give you a sedative to help calm you down when going through these things, it would make it less stressful all round.  Anyway, I will wait till Monday to see what happens then.  Once again, thanks.

• Posted

Wish you had managed to get an appointment today to save you worrying all over the weekend.  Regards your anxiety about having a procedure without a sedative being given at the hospital you MUST talk this through with your GP before he refers you to the hospital (if needed) ask him to make it very clear in the referral letter that you are very anxious and require sedation. Your GP is the person who knows you best and he may be happy to provide you with medication to help you relax and calm down before going to the hospital.  There are no medals for acting brave, make your feelings clear and get the help you need.  Take care of yourself.
    • Posted

The colonoscopy is a fairly simple procedure! I have had two! Staff were wonderful, I took the sedative and it was over before I knew it! I felt fine afterwards, and had no other affects when I got home! I did have someone accompany me as required but that was just in case! I was fine! I can only try to reassure you, just try to relax. I'm sure you will be just fine too! Incidentally, I live alone and felt OK as soon as I got home!

• Posted

Dear Mel:  It's understandable if you are worried.  It's a pity you will have to wait until after the weekend to see your GP.  Your symptoms could be anything, not necessarily bowel cancer.  If you are referred for a colonoscopy you will be offered a choice of whether to have a sedative or not.  If you opt for a sedative then you will need someone with you for the 24 hours after a procedure.  I had two colonoscopies last year and opted not to have a sedative.  Good luck to you and please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi guys, I saw my Doctor today and he prodded my abdomen and had a feel up the back passage and also asked a few questions.  He then suggested that I have some bloods done, and he has referred me to Hospital for a colonoscopy. 

I informed him of my anxiety problems and he said he would tell them in his letter that I required a sedative due to my anxiety, so as long as they agree to that, then I think I will manage to get through it ok.  Then the waitng for the result!

• Posted

Wish I could reassure you! Colonoscopy is a doddle ! Take the sedative and you won't feel a thing! Will seem over in  the blink of an eye! Good luck!

• Posted

Really pleased you got to see your doctor today and that he understands your anxiety.  I am sure the hospital will take notice that you need a sedative.  Try not to worry and take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi everyone, well tomorrow, (Sunday) I have to start taking the Moviprep for my colonoscopy on Monday.  I'm not looking forward to it and am worried I might not be able to drink it if it is horrible tasting.  I think I'm more worried about that now than the actual colonoscpy.  I know I'm a big softie, but that's just how I am.

• Posted

I so wish I could reassure you! The drink is quite palatable and easy to take. The colonoscopy itself is nothing to worry about. I've had two, I took the sedative each time and felt nothing! Procedure was over before I knew it! Try to relax and not worry!  Much easier than a check up at dentist! 👍🏽🤓

• Posted

I've had it twice and was dreading it, both prep and procedure.

The prep was ok,( not as bad as I thought) , I also expected to up all night but wasn't. 1st time was both doses in one day, the next time it was split across 2 days for an afternoon procedure.

I had a sedative once but was awake throughout so the second time I opted for no sedative.

My 5 yr old daughter just had one too, she found the prep harder and was a little sick but ok.

• Posted

Hi guys, colonoscopy is done, nothing to see, no polyps etc. nothingat all, as the consultant said it was all clear, was a little bit painful as he got deeper into the bowel, but not too bad, and I was able to cope with that.  I just want to thank all you wonderful people for your support and messages, they helped a lot, so all the best everyone, and keep healthy!
    • Posted

Hi Mel,

I read your discussion and I relate alot to the same symptoms you were having. I've had the sharp cramps before the bowel movements for many years now also. I was having rectal bleeding and had a colonoscopy done last week but nothing was found. I wonder why we experience that pain and have bleeding and nothing to explain it. What matters is that nothing terrible was found and I'm thankful for that but I wish I had answers as to why I experience what I do. Hope your doing better now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.