blood in urine - is this a kidney stone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Your opinion please - I'm female 48 years old. 4 weeks ago when I pee'd and looked into the toilet and the water was an opaque reddy brown colour. There was blood when I wiped too. I saw my GP and another 2  urine analyses showed no infection but blood present. Although not visible. Today I had a cystoscopy and my bladder is fine. I've had a CT scan also today. The doctor who did The cystoscopy said blood in urine for females is usually infection but that's been ruled out. He said without the results of the CT he can't say for certain what it is but doesn't think its anything serious. Can you have a kidney stone with blood but without the usual pain? The only other symptom I've had which I don't know if it's related is dull right sided pelvic pain. I had this constantly for a couple of months last summer without any other symptoms. I had an ultrasound scan of my pelvis and kidneys which came back clear.  That dull ache went away by itself. It started again a few weeks ago although it comes and goes instead of being there everyday. Could my symptoms be causes by kidney stones? I've never had the severe pain which is typical - I have 3 brothers and 2 of them have had recurring kidney stones. Also an uncle. They all had classic symptoms. I'd like to hear from anyone with kidney stones who's had my symptoms perhaps. Much appreciated .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You could have a kidney stone. It runs in families. Everyone is different, though. You might bleed and have no pain, or have pain and no blood. Some people feel kidney stones while they are doing nothing in their kidney (non-obstructive) and some people don't know they have them until they are passing one. Pain on and off is fairly common and it can move around. I've had back, flank, stomach and pelvic pain from a stone. Anywhere from dull to sharp. I've been fine one day and bed-ridden the next. I passed 4 stones at the ER and the doctor didn't believe I was passing anything because my urine sample came back negative for blood. Also, stones don't always show up on an ultrasound, but CT scans are fairly accurate down to the mm. Once the CT scan results are read, you should have some idea of what ER you are dealing with a kidney stone.

• Posted

"what ER" is an auto-correct error. It should have said "whether".

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm trying to hold onto the fact that kidney stones run in families and symptoms can vary person to person. I can deal with a kidney stone , it's not a serious problem. I will wait for the results and try to stay positive in the meantime.

• Posted

I think this is likely to be a kidney stone. I have blood in my urine and GP said he thought kidney stone had come back. I only had kidney stones removed in December last year so don't really understand how they can come back so quickly. Get an appointment with a urologist.

Take care and  keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I'm sorry you're having to deal with another kidney stone so soon after the last one but I've been reading around the subject and apparently stones can form that quickly. 

I had a blood test a couple of days before the scan and I noticed the name of the Doctor on the envelope in which the sample was put in - it's a consultant urologist. I assume I will be seeing him if anything shows up on the scan. 

• Posted

I had my CT scan on 7th Feb and still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how long it should take? I had an appointment with the nurse for a separate issue 5 days ago and she said there was nothing on the system. I can't believe it takes the NHS more than 2 weeks to report back all clear. My mum had an abnormal head MRI scan and the GP called her 2 days later with an appointment to discuss the results. I'm worried something has shown on the scan and it's with the relevant consultant. But why so long?

• Posted

Sounds like it was either lost, prematurely filed away or not urgent enough to require an immediate follow-up. It all depends on the radiologist. I'm in the U.S. but it took a week to get a call back for my first CT scan, but they didn't know what they were looking for and that is when they found my first kidney stone. When I had a CT scan in the emergency room, they told me immediately after the scan that I had two kidney stones in my kidney. I think you should call them and make sure it's still being processed and someone is planning to get back to you. I've had doctors never call me back about my blood tests and my first urologist never called me to tell me the results of my CT scan following my first lithotripsy or the test results for what kind of stones I was making. I had to call them and track the info down because they put my file away and that was it. Unfortunately, they can't always be relied upon to tell us what's going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.