Blood in urine quick question or 2. Possibly for a Urologist on the forum

Posted , 7 users are following.

Went to uro last week, he said there is blood in my urine sample. Its a small amount that doesn't even effect urine color. My questions are

1) I assume they used a dip stick to find the urine. I've tried to purchase these on Amazon but all their dip sticks are for multiple tests like protein, ketones, etc. Does any one know where I can buy  dip sticks that are for blood in urine only? Do they even exist?

2) This question is a little more specialized  I know sometimes the blood is so dilute that they examine the urine under a microscope. Since I have access to a microscope is there any special prep done to sample to see the blood on a microscope? Just use a slide or petri dish? Any special light filters? Magnification?

The uro did not see any cancer cells in the sample but wants to scope me to be sure bladder is in good shape. I've had a cystoscopy before. It wasn't too bad but I had pain for a few months afterward that my uros ignored. I think I got an infection from it. I had sex the day before my urine test. I'm wondering if that my have trigger minor bleeding. I also have 2 cysts on my kidneys maybe their bleeding. Otherwise I pee very good 20ml/sec.  I really hate the thought of ending up with an infection and going backwards in my progress.Especially sine last time they ignored my concerns over burning urination, and a painful prostate making it difficult to drive. BTW this is a new uro he isn't the one that ignored my pain.

Thanks Unk

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

• Posted

Nothing to worry about unless it occurs frequently. Anti-biotics such as Cipro will clear it up in a few days.
    • Posted

Thanks lester. I'm more curious to find out if sex is causing the blood. So I'd like to be able to check my urine periodically to see if there is blood in it.

• Posted

Cipro makers Bayer issued along with the FDA an instruction that Cipro/fluoroquinolone

should not be prescribed for UTI's and prostate infections and reserved for serious life threatening infections due to serious side effects

• Posted

Thanks derek. I'm not looking for infection info. Uro never said I had an infection when I went last week. I trust my uro with that since antibiotics are bacteria specific.

I'm trying to find a way to check for blood in my urine since I cant run to doctor every time I want to check for it.   

• Posted

With blood in urine, in addition to cystoscopy, they often order a cytology blood. The main concern is bladder cancer. That said, there are numerous reasons for blood in the urine, including a UTI, prostatitis, exercise and sex. I would therefore not be overly concerned. 

I would forget the microscope and get Siemens Multistix 10SG. In addition to blood they will also let you know if you potentially have an infection as well as other useful information. 

Make sure the uro knows you got a UTI that last time you were scoped. Did they give you an antibiotic at the time of the procedure? In any case you will want to ask for prophylactic antibiotics. One pill is usually given at the time of the procedure, but you could ask to be started the day before. 

Jim

• Posted

Thanks jimjames

The blood doesn't phase me one bit. When my prostate problems started Nov 2015 I literally peed blood. Not red urine, literally blood. Very large clots, also. It lasted 7 days. The urgent care I went to said they had never seen any one pee blood like that. My GP said the same thing. When I made my appointment for the uro they hooked me up with the oncologist because they seemed sure I had cancer. I had no pain and minor difficulty peeing due to BPH prior to the bleeding episode. 

I did receive one dose of antibiotics when I had my cystoscopy. As mentioned before the pain in the prostate started after the cystoscopy and lasted for months. Uros made no effort to get to the bottom of the pain. I guess they figured the size of my prostate was the cause of the pain.

I will buy some of the Siemens Multistix 10SG dip sticks. Still gonna try and figure out how the urine sample is prepared for microscopic inspection

• Posted

The pricing varies and the European version (same packaging, different product number) is often much less expensive for essentially the same product. Just make sure ask about expiration date before you buy.

Jim

• Posted

Ask your Urologist if he or she thinks a Urogram (CT with and without contrast) would help diagnose.  How long has it been since your last cystocopy?  It may be a good idea to get another one if it has been awhile.  A lot of people middle age and older have kidney cysts and is not all that uncommon and usually not a problem.  If there is a problem with your kidneys, a Urogram as mentioned above would probably help diagnose.  Also, have you had a recent urine analysis?  They  can check for UTI by culturing some of your urine.I had urinary bladder stones and toward the last several weeks before my procedure to get them out (laser and irrigation, I was peeing blood at least once a week and would clear about the second or third urination but I had microscopic blood in my urine.  Hopefully all is well now.  The bleeding I had was a dark red and was megascopic.  It looked like I was peeing pure blood  but my blood test hemaglobin count and other test were normal.  In short, see your urologist and mention what i mentioned above.  Above all, do not get on the internet and try to diagnose yourself and scare yourself

Paul

• Posted

I had blood in my urine, and it was noticeable with the naked eye. turned out to be a bladder stone, was causing the bleeding.  Scared the living day light out of me!!!  I assume it was bumping around in the bladder causing all that trouble.
    • Posted

Yep, I had TEN of them busted up and removed on August 2nd.  My Urologist said that my bladder looked like an Easter basket full of Easter eggs. I experienced very visual dark red blood at least once a week for several weeks prior to my procedure.  I hope you are having your prostate and bladder checked thoroughly because a bladder that does not void completely causes stones to form
    • Posted

Also diet can play a factor in bladder stones (Potassium citrate is a urinary alkalinizing medication. It makes urine less acidic. Potassium citrate works by crystallizing stone-forming salts such as calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, and uric acid within the urinary bladder by increasing the urinary pH and urine citrate levels.)

Anything on this list that you recognize, that might have made your 10 bladder stones / enlarged prostate condition worse??

?"Nuts and molasses are high in potassium, peanut butter has a moderate amount of potassium and butter has trace amounts of this essential mineral.

As an Additive

?Processed foods often contain potassium citrate as an additive. Beverages, in particular, tend to contain this additive, including hot beverages, dairy-based drinks, infant formulas, alcoholic beverages and water-based beverages, such as sports drinks and energy drinks. Fish products, sugars and syrups, salt substitutes, pasteurized dairy products, cheese, sherbet, processed vegetables, breakfast cereals, candies, pastas, processed rice products, soybean products, bakery products, processed meats, condiments and seasonings, soups and prepared foods may all contain potassium citrate as well."

• Posted

I am now on a plant based diet as in the book "Eat to Live"  I have only been on the diet for about two weeks but have already lost a fair amount of weight.  Can't say exactly how much because I decided not to weigh but to go by how my clothes fit.  I am now able to get into clothes that were previously too tight to wear.  I am also sleeping better at night with fewer times getting up during the night to urinate.  The last two nights, I have not gotten up at all.  Previously I was getting up two to three times a night.

• Posted

All due to diet change ? No medications or procedures ? It's great !!! Hank

• Posted

Are you suggesting to avoid high potassium foods ? Hank
    • Posted

I do not know if it all due to diet change or not.  Time will tell.  It is too early to make those claims,  It may just be a coincidence.  I do know, however, that a plant based diet is beneficial to those who have prostate cancer.
    • Posted

Just the connection ?

if you have an enlarged prostate, you may be unable to empty your bladder completely, in which you are prone to bladder stones.

Diet high in Potassium citrate may make you a higher risk for bladder stones. That's why I was asking Vigneron about his diet.

? Vigneron were you aware of difficulty in emptying your bladder before the diagnosis of bladder stones, and for how long prior? What about now after they have been removed?

Your problem doesn't get reported often, so you may be able to help many others in your situation.

• Posted

It is difficult to avoid potassium foods in a plant based diet. Perhaps Vig can confirm this. Hank
    • Posted

Is plant based diet the same as vegan or vegetarian diet ? Can you eat beans and nuts ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

Yes, it is basically a vegetarian diet with the emphasis on nutrient dense foods.  Not all vegetarians are thin or possibly even in good health.  Yes, you can eat beans and nuts although nuts are limited to about 2 ounces per day.  The concept is that when the ratio of nutrients to calories in the food is high, you lose weight and the more nutrient dense food you eat, the less you crave fat, sweets and high calorie foods  This concept has worked for me.  I highly recommend getting the book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.  You can get it at Amazon.  The cookbook has some great ideas also.  I can see now that the foods I was eating (and I thought I was eating good) were actually creating a craving for more food.  I no longer have that craving and feeling hungry a lot of the time.  I am actually eating more than I was and loosing weight even though I am eating more.

• Posted

Yes, I was aware that I was not completely emptying my bladder for years.  I could urinate and shortly afterwards urinate some more.  My stream has never been all that bad but I had urge to urinate all of a sudden a lot of the time.  I would carry a urinal in my vehicle in case I could not find a rest room or place to pull over.
    • Posted

I have had a urinalysis every year for the past 17 years at the VA.  I have always had a urine pH that was on the acidic end of the normal pH range.  My blood Potassium level has always been in the middle of the normal range.
    • Posted

Orange juice seems to be the best defense in developing stones, other than supplemnets:

"Some patients produce too acidic a urine which raises risk of uric acid stones, and they need supplemental alkali to make their urine less acidic. The use of potassium citrate to make urine less acidic will prevent uric acid stones in most patients who form them."

• Posted

Thanks Vig, I don't know how you do it. The last time I tried a veg diet I was hunggry all the time, until I eat nuts or meat. Hank

• Posted

The thing that works for me is to eat a super big salad for lunch with some beans on top and fruit between meals.  At dinner time, I am not very hungry at all.  I recommend the book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.  I am in no way connected with him or make anything promoting his book but If you have an interest in science and nutrition, it makes a good read regardless if you try the eating plan or not.  For breakfast I have either the old fashion oatmeal with a few walnuts and blueberries and about half a banana or shredded wheat - not the kind coated with all kinds of crap but just the regular old fashion kind along with the walnuts, blueberries and banana, Neither the oatmeal nor the shredded wheat have any salt at all which is a big plus and is about the only cereals that do not have any.  I use flax milk on them.  I eat baked and broiled salmon in the evenings a couuple times a week along with greens and vegetables.  There are a lot of non meat things you can fix for dinner and the cookbook has some good ideas.

• Posted

Thanks Vig. I read Eat To Live and tried the diet. Still hungry all the time. Your comparison between broccoli and beef though mathematically correct, is not realistic. In order to get the same calories a steak has, one would have to eat 4 bunches of broccoli (bunches, not stalks). I would be hungry right after I finish the broccoli. smile

Just came across some new articles just released today, 18 years and 130,000 people study, indicated that low fat diets cut lives short. Fat, even saturated fat, makes people live longer. Just Google 'low fat diet could kill you'. I think i need more fat in my diet.

Hank

• Posted

Correction !  Fat Study : 10 years, 18 countries, 135,000 participants. Hank
    • Posted

Just look up the numbers on paleo or Atkins diet. Cholesterol numbers drop significantly. Not saying those are good diets but they definitely aren't low fat.

• Posted

Dr. Joel Fuhrman considers the Atkins diet and the South Beach diets as "prototypes of dietary misinformation".  While it is true that some vitamins are only soluble in fats there are fats that are vastly superior to animal fats.  I get all the fats I need from food such as avocados, limited amounts of olive oil, nuts, seeds and about two servings of fish such as salmon per week. Even green vegetables and beans contain beneficial fats.  You don't need to eat moooo cows or pigs or lamb etc.

• Posted

sounds lke a very healthy meal.  In the morning, I try to eat whatever is in the garden.  right now, avocados are in season and so I eat them.  Also lemons are there, and so I pick a lemon, squeeze it and drink it in a matter of minutes.  I  also eat 3 to 4 soft-boiled eggs every morning along with my vitamins, minerrals, amino acids and fatty acids.  Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.