Blood oxygen, feel good

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. An allergy med has significantly reduced my wheezing and cough. The wheezing and cough were new anyway. I am hoping that this may improve blood oxygen levels but they have gone down. About 96-97 steady but now often go down to 92-95 especially after exercise.

The thing is that I also feel good. Chest tightness a bit but very little sob. I am concerned about the blood oxygen. Any thoughts? Thank you. Also the higher numbers are steady about half the time.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

PS

I forget the allergy med sometimes and still have significant improvement. I find it odd that those symptoms are almost gone (to me) yet my oxygen levels decrease at times.

• Posted

Hi I have mild copd and my oxygen levels often drop to around 90/92.   It is fine so don't worry.  It's only if they drop regularly to below 88 that there could be problems.  Under 84% for long periods and there is a risk that your organs can be damaged so oxygen can be required.  

My advice is to keep an eye on yours but don't become obsessive about it as this could cause anxiety.   Bev x

• Posted

Thank you so much! I am obviously a worrier. I have never had them this low. I feel better after hearing from you.
    • Posted

I just wanted to say....check with your Dr on those blood oxygen percentages bc to me that sounds a bit low... some Dr's say anything below 88% requires oxygen and some say below 90%. I always hover around 90 to 93 while resting without oxygen. I quickly go down to maybe 85% when I exert and get SOB and very tired and have to sit down. Then it will go back up...but my point is...your organs and brain are being deprived of oxygen at 88 and you can begin to feel it for sure at that level and below. It should go up with oxygen too. Get a pulse oximeter!! It's the device you need to measure your oxygen saturation and then you'll know for yourself. Keep us posted! Ladyjack51
    • Posted

Hi I did 91 at the nurses on my annual review.  She wasn't at all worried about it so I don't think a doctor would worry about 92/95.   I have been told by those on oxygen that it your level starts to go below around 88% there could be cause for concern and the doctor should be aware of this.  

It's an excellent idea to get an oxymeter.  I have one too and keep an eye on my sats/    Bev x

• Posted

Yes...as I said I hover between 90 to 93 at rest so I don't use my oxygen. I usually only use it when I exert a bit...maybe take it with me bc you're a bit more active when out and about.
  • Posted

Hi on re reading your post it seems you already have an oxymeter?  Don't take the first immediate reading but wait a few seconds until it stablises itself and that is the true reading.  So if it shows 92 at first then goes up to 95 your sats are 95 at that moment.  Bev x

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for their comments!!! Very helpful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.