Blood patch/LP

Posted , 3 users are following.

So a week ago I had a Lumbar puncture done to test for meningitis which came back negative thankfully. But about 24 hours after that I developed what appeared to be a spinal headache, super intense pain when I would stand or sit(8 out of 10), but it would almost completely go away when I laid down. So I was in bed for about 5 days to see if it would heal on its own which it didn’t. So my physician recommended I go in for an epidural blood patch which I did yesterday and it seemed to have gone successfully. However, when I stand or sit I still get the feeling that these headaches are going to return and they almost feel like they are coming back on. I stood for 30 minutes today and I wasn’t able to trigger one but I feel like if I stayed standing for another 10 minutes then I would have gotten a headache. My question is, is this blood patch something that is supposed to help decrease the headaches over time(like a few days)? Or should I be headache free by now? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I went through the same.. lp then bloodpatch. For me, it took about 14 days for me to stand. I tried every few days and got the same symptoms until one day I didn’t get the feeling.  It’s been almost 3 years and I still get headaches but mostly from tension that I think the lp caused.  
    • Posted

Ok thanks for the reply, did you end up going in for a second blood patch? Doing some research on the Internet it seems like doctors will have you go in for a second one, but I’d really rather not do that if I don’t have to
    • Posted

No infact the doc that did mine didn’t even want to do the first. He said the risk of infection is very high.  I wouldn’t go through it again. I’d just wait. They said being a male, their isn’t enough fat in that area to reseal it so it takes longer.
  • Posted

I had to have a blood patch two years ago in fact I had two. The first one didn’t take after about 5 days. But the pressure should go away right away unless you have something called high pressure and that can take a couple of weeks to adjust. I would suggest not lifting anything for at least a week. I think that is why the first one didn’t take for me. 
    • Posted

So are these patches something that take a couple of days to work? I haven’t been noticing any huge changes so I’m starting to think it maybe didn’t work. Also, I hear a lot of people say it will heal on its own eventually, and then I hear some people saying that you should get it fixed otherwise it can cause brain issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.