Blood pooling in ankle after TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had left TKR a week ago. My in home PT person said I'll making good progress already. I'm having difficulty getting knee to straighten. Today blood started pooling in my foot and ankle. Is this normal? Hoping it's just draining from knee.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That would definitely be a call to your surgeon. I had no trouble with blood pooling anywhere. Be careful - call your doc. My problem was never getting my leg straight but bending. Am probably a little over 120 and hope to be released from PT this week. Good luck.
  • Posted

Please contact your GP and ask advice as soon as possible.  I've never heard of this before but that's not to say that it couldn't happen but just to be on the safe side get it checked out.  Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Matilda. I'll check with my TKR physician this Tuesday. Everyone out on Memorial Day.

• Posted

If that happened to me I would sek emergency treatment .
  • Posted

Are you moving (getting up and walking) regularly? Doing you ankle pumps and other exercises? Elevating the leg when sitting? Are you currently taking blood thinning medications? If blood is pooling anywhere it could be an indication of poor circulation and could potentially lead to blood clots. I would not wait until Tuesday - do you have an urgent care or ER facility where you can be checked out? If you develop leg pain or shortness of breath you should call 911. Please get checked before Tuesday. 
    • Posted

Hi Dee,

Yes I'm walking all the time and taking Eliquis 2.5mg twice a day. I'm calling the in home nurse today. The bruising isn't getting any worse but will get checked out.

• Posted

Blood?  Pooling?  Definitely not normal.  Doc ASAP!!!  Maybe even an ER...  You do NOT screw around when the words "blood is pooling" are involved...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.