Blood pressure....

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 57 year old man. I have developed a phobia about my blood pressure.

I'm absolutely terrified to take it, I went to the Hospital about 9 weeks ago and it was really high. I was given 3 pills and about 5 hours later it came down. since then I'm terrified about it.

I know it sounds ridiculous,but as a big bearded, tattooist, ex Army I'm really terrified...Any advice please...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sometimes the blood pressure can elevate for various reasons. Many times it’s stress related, diet related, hereditary, I check my blood pressure every morning, and when it’s elevated, I take a medication that brings it down.

It’s nothing to get really stressed out about. Because blood pressure can be managed.

sometimes we have to change our diet. such as decrease the salt intake, etc.

Other times, we have to manage our stress level and practice long slow, deep breathing. I often will listen to soothing meditations for stress and anxiety. on YouTube That alone can lower the blood pressure!

Did your doctor give you a medication for the blood pressure other than the three pills?

Did he or she give you instructions on how often to check your blood pressure?

I never liked taking my blood pressure but I know that it’s important to get a reading and keep tabs on it.

My doctor wanted me to check it daily for a week and let him know the results. Which I did. I know that it’s important to do because if I didn’t check it and it did spike, I wouldn’t know it.

that is worse than Checking the blood pressure and seeing that it’s elevated. That way you can do something about it.

I got used to checking it and after a while it was no big deal doing that. Take one step at a time. You don’t have to constantly be checking it. Just get a daily reading, write it down and let your doctor know if it’s high. Around 140/90 is the beginning of high blood pressure.

another thing that helps keep blood pressure lower is exercise! But it’s important to have a complete physical at least once a year..

You’re going to be OK. Remember that fear and worry can cause the blood pressure to elevate also so do things to relax your mind and body. hope this helps a little bit.

millions and millions of people check their blood pressure daily. Very common . Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.