Blood Pressure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello i am 50 and back in November through going to my doctor for a symptom of pain in my knee i was told that i had severely high BP so i was put on a course of tablets Linsinopril which i am getting on very well with.

This last weeks i went to my doctor again with another thing and she took my BP and she said it was very high 194/90 (is that v high) so she upped my dosage to 5 mg i have to go back for a blood test this week and then see her 2 weeks later.

how long does it take for your body to get used to the medication controlling the BP

she also says she will be introducing another one if this one on its own does not work.

she was not pleased with me as i have not been good in taking them but i started taking them again a month ago.

any tips would be good

TIA

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tia,

How is it going now (notice this was posted in January with no replies yet) Have you been put on any more tablets?

I was diagnosed about the same time as you last year my BP was 220/110 so was extremely high but yes 194/90 is very high and does need tablets to bring it down. I have just started on my 4th tablet - I started on Amlodipine, then had ramipril 10mg, Indapamide (diuretics) and now have another diuretic Spironolactone.

With your BP being so high you may end up on more than one tablet, but it is important to work with the Dr and take them ... if they don't agree go back and there are others they can try.

Hope all is going well ..

AM

• Posted

Hello

thank you for your response to my post on High Blood Pressure.

First of all i was suffering from a lot of stress but she said that stress would not cause your BP to go so high (she did not know the stress that i was under) i had a very bad family happening.

after a while of taking the tablets she said i want to put you on another tablet even tho i told her that my sister had problems with it swollen ankles and a terriblke cough. she kept wanting me to have blood tests every month or so, so i perservered thinking she knew what she was talking about. the pain i had from my feet swelling and the irratating cough was unbelievable so even before the month was up I went back to her and said that there was no way that i couldcarry on taking the tablets with those side affects so she then put me on the Lisonipril again. which for a time was ok, then i had a massive dissapointment in my life and forgot the pills feeling so much better and my BP was not amazingly high.

I then felt bad again so asked for a repeat prescription and started on them again. but what happend was that i had the cough back thinking that they had given me the wrong prescription i complained and she assured me they were the right ones. i continued to take them and to take my BP whcih was stabalizing but not enough she said i went and at 140/80 she still said it was high. In the end i asked my sister if that was hight and she could not understand why i was on the pills she said more likely i had a thyroid problem. so now i am off the tablets and feeling fine. so was not sure what wass going on i think that it was down to the massive stress i was under.

I just think that i have been terribly run down with a lot of stress and that was wat the problem was but now my BP is stable an i am not on tablets for it.

By the way TIA meant thanks in advance. sorry

• Posted

oh you poor love.... why dont you try to talk to the practice nurse... they can be very helpful and supportive.

your local pharmacist is also very knowledgeable and would give you his/her opinion of your combination of drugs.... but don't give up, the last thing you want is a stroke or a heart attack! then you really wouldn't feel good.

chin up, see the nurse.

• Posted

Hi Tia,

Really sorry to hear you have had such a tough time along the way. At 140/80 it is at the level that is classed as high, so even though you feel good, it does not always show what your Bp is doing (mine was at 220/110 and I had no idea I had a problem!)

Perhaps visiting the practice nurse or another doctor in the practice would help .. if you BP is still high they could look at what tablets you could have (and there are lots of choices) and if it is stable it is good to just keep an eye on it.

Good luck and let us know how it is going smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.