Blood pressure 6 month check up due in 2 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on medication now for 15 months and 6 months ago my dr considered lowering the dose I take, however she didn't do so. Initially I took Ramipril 1.25 then it was raised to 2.5  but when the cough kicked in I was changed to Losartan 50mg which is the equivalent dose. My BP was 160/93 15 months ago [24 hr monitor proved this] and I vowed to alter my life style which I did. I lost weight, gave up salt and most alcohol. Eat very little red meat but plenty of fish and loads of vegetables and fruit. I take my BP twice a day and usually have an average over a week of around 118/75.  The dr wanted it below 135/80 - or was it 85? As I am now due for a routine check up can I reasonably ask for a reduction in medication? I hate medication, it's the psycological thing more than anything I think. They say you can never come off BP meds - is this always true? How would they know whether life style changes had altered things if they just keep you tanked up with medication?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, physician prescribes medications and set a dose based on your response to those medications. So please do not change dose of blood pressure medications without your physician's knowledge. It is true that our lifestyle, diet and psychological condition are responsible for hypertension. It is necessary to change our lifestyle and diet. It helps to maintain blood pressure and reduce dose of blood pressure medications. Please take low salt diet with less oil and avoid junk food. Our psychological condition is also responsible to shoot blood pressure. Please take help of meditation and Yoga. It will help you to stable your mind.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I would never do anything without consulting the dr first, I just wondered if it was  likely to happen if I ask. Certainly the BP shoots off the page in the surgery - what can I say about that? It's quite ridiculous, but she seems more than happy with my readings at home. I have been totally compliant with my medication but still would like to reduce it if I could. When first diagnosed another dr simply said I wouldn't be able to sort it on my own - a remark which made me all the more determined to try.  How would they ever know the real reading if one is always medicated? Of course during the day it alters up and down, even from one minute to another. I just wondered how anyone would know the true figure if one is constantly medicated?
    • Posted

It is not just yours that that alters by the minute. That happens with everyone whether they are hypertesive or not. It is never a constant figure it changes with time of day, activity, mood and weather. As a doctor said to me it is like the constantly changing oil pressure on a plane.

There is not a real figure especially when it is a off one of reading in a hospital or surgery. I can get extremes from 210/110 in the morning to 100/56 by evening or night time. When I have a 24 hour monitor despite my protests they say it is well controlled and it has been that way for fourteen years. Last time with an average of 147/78.

You are hypertensive so your true figure is the best one that your medications can provide, with your extreme lifestyle changes you seem to have got good control of it while on quite a low dose of Losartan.

The only way you will know if it is your efforts or efforts plus medication is to stop the losartan for a month.

The problem is with so many variations even in different families of drugs

to get the one that suits you. I've been on nine different BP drugs plus several diuretics without mine being kept on a steady course.  

• Posted

Hi Jane, physician judge blood pressure based on your response to a given medication at given dose and changes the dose or change the class of medication. Physicians consider many things before prescribing blood pressure medication such as age, asthma history, diabetes, renal function. Please do not think too much. If your blood pressure is 130/90, you do not have to worry. Please reduce salt and oil in your diet, avoid junk food. Do regular exercise, meditation and Yoga. It will reduce the dose of your BP medicine.
  • Posted

I do know what you mean.  I have just started meds 6days ago me who never takes anything normally. After a lot of debate with myself I decided it was a must.  Sometimes I feel better for it but have really bad sweats just like the menopause all over again.  
    • Posted

Hello Margaret, I was just the same as you when they discovered the hypertension. So cross about it and hated the hype you get from the nurses "You've had 70 good years" was one remark.[I felt as though I was being shunted into an old folks home!] "Silent Killer" was another.  Have you only just been diagnosed with hypertension then? What are you taking, I would assume it's the lowest dose of whatever it is as I think that's what they do,  then they raise it after a month or so or add another, or both. Sweats are something I've  not heard of before. However you could ask for an alternative.  
    • Posted

Many of the drugs can cause sweating. Google the one you are taking plus sweating.For example Losartan shows it to be more of a problem for over 50's who have been on it for 1 or 2 years. When I complained to my GP of even swting in cold weather he said that Losartan can cause that.

If you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking this medicine, which can lead to severely low blood pressure or a electrolyte imbalance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.