Blood pressure

Posted , 10 users are following.

When i checked my blood pressure on a home blood pressure monitor one reading said 198/152 and then 115/76 if it was 198/152 i wouldnt have been able to ride my bike 9.1 miles right

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carl, how accurate is your home BP monitor?  Have you had your blood pressure taken by a doctor?  Anxiety will send it up.

• Posted

Very inconsistent readings checked it 5 or 6 times last time I checked it it was 139/75

• Posted

It's a little hard to say, but if your BP was that high I think you'd have a variety of awful symptoms.  Is this an arm or a wrist unit?  How long have you been using it?

• Posted

Arm and i checked it a bunch of times all inconsistent

• Posted

Is it an old unit? BP monitors have to be calibrated once a year or they'll give inconsistent readings. If it's a relatively inexpensive model, it's easier to buy a new one.

• Posted

If you have atrial fibrillation or ectopic beats your BP monitor will not give true readings. Does it have the facility to show irregular hear beats and does it sometimes fail to give you a reading ? 
  • Posted

Hi. All. GP told me never take any notice of the first reading. The machine has got to re collaborate itself every time you use it so just take note of the second reading. I am pretty sure if your BP was that high then you would know about it!
  • Posted

carl42026...I think you'd be doing  yourself a great service if you got a new machine. If your current machine is inaccurate, it's not doing you a bit of good.

Also, another person wrote that a Dr. said not to take notice of the 1st reading, which is true. Disregard it..then take 3 consecutive readings, about 3 min apart. Total, then average it out. That gives you the reading.

Odd the Dr. says not to take notice of the 1st reading, which is true, BUT when in the Dr. office, they only do one reading. hmmmmmmmm

• Posted

Most home units are worthless and give highly inaccurate readings. Talk with local pharmacy or medical equipment company for a reliable unit. Trust me 1/2 the doctor offices have mos-calibrated ones as well. 

As a Nurse I only trust a manual cuff and stethoscope but make sure the cuff size fits properly 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Yes, when I get to the office I have to fill out forms, then you go in and the nurse weighs you then you walk to the exam room and immediately get your BP done. That’s a lot of activity in a few minutes.

i don’t trust the results.

• Posted

Carl, They can't take my BP in the Dr's Office with an Electronic BP Machine.  I have a non life threatening type of irregular Heart Beat and it REALLY messes with the Reading. (It's not Atrial Fibrillation)  Freaks out the Nurses sometimes!  I suspect you have a defective BP Monitor or some type irregular Heart Beat.  I used to be a distance runner and developed something called "Pre-Ventricular Contractions".  After the Cardiologist Ran the Treadmill up as steep as it would go and at its' fastest Speed, He finally got my Pulse up to what He needed.  Said, Well I have Good News and Bad News.  The Bad News is you DO have PVCs.  The good news is, it isn't dangerous and I wish I were in half as good of shape as you.  Go enjoy yourself!  That was 35 years ago!

Good Luck in determining what is causing the erratic readings.  I suspect it is False Readings.  You're cycling 9 Miles with no problems?  I suspect you're FINE!  Regards,  Ernie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.