Blood pressure advise needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m 40 years old and around 10 years ago stumbled onto having high blood pressure. 140/85

I’m not overweight, don’t drink and eat pretty well. (Vegetarian/Vegan diet).

At the time my doctor was just monitoring and I was able to get Dow to 135/82 with a lot of running 15km+ per week.

we have moved interstate and I’m unable to exercise as much these days.

My blood pressure was getting up to 150/90 so my new doctor put me on some medication which was working but gave me a cough, so he switched it to Amlodipine 5mg per day.

This gets me around 130/82

Adding to this I’m trialing Dexamphetamine for ADHD which has pushed my BP up around 138/85.

My Doctor is ok with these readings but myself I sort of expect 120/80 if I’m on meds for life.

should I be excepting anything other than 120/80?

I have a family history of high BP as well.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It’s not realistic to expect to be around 120/80 on a regular basis if you have high Bp, the general rule is if your in your 40’s then the systolic reading is ok at 140, ie if someone is in their 50’s then the systolic reading is ok at 150. If it’s possible to get these numbers lower naturally then that’s  a good thing, it’s sort of scaremongering to have everyone thinking they have major issues with High Bp. In the animal kingdom, 🦒 giraffes have the highest Bp of all animals, they don’t have any illnesses due to this. I’m not saying that you can’t take a heart attack or stroke through High Bp, but it has to be exceptionally high on a regular basis. I’m in my 40’s, my doc put me on Ramipril for readings of 145-155-160 often over roughly 95-100 diastolic. I had never felt so bad in my life on the Ramipril, I was nearly crippled with leg pain, I decided to come of the pills, I feel fine now, my Bp is roughly around 140/95, the diastolic maybe a little high, but their are supplements like aged garlic and black garlic I could take to combat this. 

• Posted

I wish I could get off blood pressure medication and go back to my pre-medication life of a year ago, with blood pressure of 135-140/85-90.  I felt perfectly fine, and healthy.  I have tried an assortment of medication since starting on an ACE inhibitor, and all have side effects and downsides.  If diet and exercise are at all an option for you, I would make that a priority.  I also want to be on less medication, as too much can be hard on your other systems.
    • Posted

Hi

If your looking for an alternative to the meds, try aged garlic and also black garlic, use the two of them, but make sure you don’t take them along with Bp meds. Garlic is meant to be one of the best natural supplements for lowering Bp. It also thins the blood which is good, but Defo don’t take it if your on blood thinners. 

• Posted

Doesn't have to be 120/80, if you're on other meds, if you have hypertension, if you're over forty.  Anything under 140 is tolerable, under 130 would be better of course.  There are no exact lines as to what is tolerable.

• Posted

I found that Amldopine caused Oedema & my feet & ankles would swell. I changed medication but felt worse with BP medication than I did without. Ironically, the medication had very little effect on my BP readings even after a year. I decided to stop taking it & stop worrying about BP. I personally believe that stress is a killer & a huge driver of high BP. I now look at reducing stress through relaxation techniques, good diet & plenty of exercise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.