Blood pressure after exercise

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had several heart attacks, left ventricle is damaged and I am borderline heart failure.

After cycling non stop in a gym for 90 mins, went home took BP reading of 116/102, repeated reading showed 115/101.   20 mins later it was back to my normal118/52.

My question- is a heart which has an imbalance likely, after prolonged exercise, to result in a BP where the readings are also lopsided?    Like the figures above?    I think the reading is probably wrong but concerned that the lower figures of 101/102 might be right.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You don't say what medications you are taking. I take it that the gym is not part of a cardio rehab programme. If not should you not ask your cardiologist for an exercise programme.

• Posted

I take the usual medications for heart failure (borderline) and I've been through a cardio rehab assessment and a programme has been completed; I am satisfied I could extend my programme to include more strenuous exercise.

• Posted

My diastolic readings vary quite wildly but the low ones concern me more that the higher ones as I am light headed then usually after exercise. Constantly low readings are said to be a sympton of arterial stiffness, atherosclerosis and cardiomyopathy.
    • Posted

I don't know just how low a  reading you are talking about, but high readings do far more damage to the  endotheilial lining of the arteries.  My father was diagnosed with high BP when he enlisted in the navy at 17, and he died of a MI at 62.  He had been treated with various meds throughout his life, but they were never that effective.  When I was 18, I was told by a navy corpsman that my 96/63 readings would lead to a long life.  Problem is; as I got older those #s went up.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your heart issues!  It is wonderful that you have recovered and are active in an exercise program.  Your questions are wonderful questions for your cardiologist or the nurse who works with the doctor.  There may be other variables such as your travel from gym to home, whether any anxiety was present at the time you sat down to record the reading, many things.  I am very glad that 20 minutes later the reading was normal.  Perhaps your body was still in exercise recovery.  Maybe you should record the readings after the gym for 7-10 days writing the readings down.  I'd write down the second reading too i.e. 20-min later too. Hang in there!  Good luck and post again when you have time!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and I'll record my readings daily after exercise for a while plus second readings 20 mins later.    I wasn't anxious when I took the readings with the odd lower figures but I want to be sure I am not overdoing the strenuous biking.   The BP during strenuous exercise does not seem to get the same attention as the BP taken in the more usual day to day situations.    That's understandable but I'm in my eighties and would like a second opinion on the BP readings.   I appreciate your interest and that of  Derek 76

• Posted

I attend a hypertension referral centre and they ask me for multiple readings three times a day with four taken over a ten minute period to allow for blips. I'm 82 and they are now more concerned about my lows as they could cause falls. Last night I had a sequence of 119/67, 103/57, 105/69, I was interupted by a delivery this morning and just took one that was 143/99.    

• Posted

SLow and steady!!  Rest about 30 minutes and take another reading.  You will be okay!
  • Posted

Your diastolic readings are probably correct, I had readings just like those, and I've had three MIs, all due to autoimmune disease, not blockages.  I'm surprised that you only have borderline heart failure after several attacks.  That's almost unheard of.The systolic can be low, but with heart strain, the diastolic # will demonstrate that as it with your readings.  I wish you luck going forward, especially with your history.

• Posted

BNP blood level is the single biggest predictor of death, even when every other blood marker is normal.  It is always a definite inclusion criteria for heart failure if it is above100.  I just found out mine is 145 back in March, the same time I also found out I have RA (an autoimmune disorder), even though I've probably had it for over 4 decades.  Does't say much for the medical practitiioners I saw all those years.

• Posted

I'd not heard of the BNP blood test until a couple of weeks ago. My wife complained of breathlessness and doctor detected ectopic beats and he thought a missed heartbeat and ordered a BNP and other blood tests and an ECG.

Both were OK. He said that the BNP test although not new was only recently able to be done at GP surgeries. He is now looking for another reason for her being breathless.

• Posted

Husband has heart failure, so I know a little, probably dangerously little. 

How breathless do you get when exercising?

Husband told he must not be getting too breathless, just adds to stress on his heart, he walks about 5kms a day much to his cardio's amazement, but he takes about 4 breaks in that walk, once at the local creek to see what the ducks and fish are up to, again at the corner store, and again he uses the local bus stops on his walking route for a seat when and lf he needs it.

I would be inclined to think 90 minutes would make you breathless, you are stressing your heart too much.

• Posted

Bicycling is a kind of aerobic exercise, which is normally expected  to increase your systolic blood pressure while the diastolic one remains stable or increases a bit. What should be of concern is a big drop of diastolic in  blood pressure after exercise.

Running or walking with pauses or slowdowns and progressive speed ups, could be better for you than non stop 90 min workout (the so called High Intensity Interval Training

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.