Blood pressure after meal

Posted , 6 users are following.

My experience with eating and blood pressure is quite different. Here's my most daily life : I woke everyday with BP 115/69...After drinking my coffee I go to work my BP is 128/8 until lunch time, after I eat my lunch my BP goes up to 150/95 to 16/100. I have to wait 1 to 2 hours and it goes down to 130/85 and it keeps going down to 120/80. the weird part I rarely experience that with dinner ( I don't know why ). I get ready to go to bed my BP is 120/80 and goes down throughout the night while i'm sleeping 109/60. NOTE : That doesn't happen to me everyday of my life but most of my days. I don't know one Doctor wanted to put me on Medicine and the other one said that I don't need it. I have been like that for 4 years now, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing not taking medicine or not.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

med jersi...With all due respect, I feel you are falling into the trap of worrying about something when there's no reason. Blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day. It can be say 120/80 one minute then 134/82 just a few moments later. This is completely NORMAL. 

It is also known that bp rises when we eat. You say upon rising your bp is 115/69, then you have your coffee, go to work, then it's 128/80 until lunch time. Wherein lies the problem!!!????? Again, after lunch you're at 150/95..after eating. 

Go with the second Dr. YOU DO NOT NEED MEDICATION. You'd be doing yourself a gigantic favour by not taking your readings so often. You didn't state your age either. Believe me...you are the envy of a lot of people.

Enjoy life..it's far too short.

• Posted

Thanks a lot. I'm 46 by the way, and you're right i'm gonna take any Meds.

• Posted

Before you take any medication, ask for an ambulatory blood pressure monitor. You can generally get this from your GP, but they'll refer you on if they can't provide one.

The ABPM will record your blood pressure every 30 minutes while you're active, and every hour when you're asleep, and will give your GP a better idea of how your BP behaves throughout the day.

Personally, I don't think you need medication for it, as most of those are normal to low readings.

Blood pressure is supposed to go up and down throughout the day, so readings of 160/100 are fine as long as they don't stay that high.

I see a cardiology professor, with 40 years of experience, who was called upon to write the blood pressure directives for the EU. He's British, but also lectures at Yale university, so I think he knows his stuff.

He'd have incredibly strong words with the doctor who thinks you need medication!

However, to remove all doubt, ask the doctor who thinks your blood pressure is too high for 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor.

• Posted

Thanks a lot, I think i worry to much, you'rev right. 

• Posted

Med  jersey, I agree with the others - your blood pressure sounds as if it is behaving quite normally.  It is not recommended that you take BP readings after a meal anyway.  I don’t understand why you are taking readings so often, but the fact that it goes down overnight is a very good sign - one of my consultants told me that the overnight readings are important,  It sounds as though you are one of the lucky ones with a healthy BP so do stop stressing about it and taking it so often- that in itself is enough to make you ill.
  • Posted

I agree with the others that you shouldn't need medicine. For one thing, with your blood pressure being normal so much of the time, and even low while you're sleeping, the medicine would take it even lower. It would seem that the low blood pressure would go to an unsafe level, at least it seems that way to me.

You don't say what you do for work. Most work has some kind of stress in it, which could account for why your blood pressure is a little higher after lunch. Also, you don't say if you are eating at a restaurant or bringing your own food. If you are eating out, that could account for the rise. Most restaurant foods have a high amount of sodium in them. You might want to check the menu at home to see how much sodium is in each dish, and pick the ones that have a lesser amount. Or just eat half of what is served. The fact that your blood pressure goes down during the rest of the day shows that your body is working to keep it normal. Maybe add a bit of water to help clear out some of any extra sodium. 

In my opinion, stick with the doctor that doesn't think you need the medicine. And stop worrying about it so much! 

• Posted

First thanks a lot for your comment. Yes I do eat lunch out all the time, You're right, I trying to cut on salt as much as I can.  Thanks again.

• Posted

I agree with Mike, BP fluctuates throughout the day. Your worrying too much. I used to worry myself about my BP until I realised that it’s all a farce, the pharmaceutical companies are making Billions of pounds on us taking meds for High BP. There’s scaremongering tactics being used to make us think we’re all prone to strokes and heart attacks unless we can’t keep our Bp down. The simple fact is that it increases with age, this is normal. It’s not normal for a 60 year old to be getting readings of 120/80, unless their from another planet, ie alien 👽. 

• Posted

Thanks and you're right ! The question that I kept asking myself : How can be consider as Hypertensive if i may say that, and my Bp goes down without meds, That means the body is working right. The first Doctor made me worry when he said : 160/100 you reached can make some damage to your heart. But you're right . Thanks again.

• Posted

Gillian68...you're so right. BP increases with age. My doctor told me several months ago that what was once believed to be the 'golden reading' 120/80 is no longer the case. Every person is different. As we age, the numbers go up. Here in Canada, it's quite acceptable for someone over the age of 60 to have readings of 140/90..honestly! Drs are finally realizing as well, that increasing bp meds put the patient at risk for increased side effects, thereby decreasing their quality of life. 

Med jersi is worrying far too much. Not to make light of his/her concern...if that's all he/she has to worry about, then I envy that person. 

• Posted

I remember once being admitted to hospital for chest pains, it was actually due to Chronic Gastritis, acid reflux, heartburn etc. My BP was 145/90. When they done their tests and realised my heart was fine, they released me from hospital with my BP reading at 180/104. This is proof, that their not particularly worried about High BP being an issue unless it’s a colossal reading. Also, not sure if you are aware of this, but recent studies have actually found sugar to be worse than salt for increasing BP. The reason being is that insulin is released when we break down sugar, but if it’s released too often it increases blood pressure. 
    • Posted

There’s definitely too much emphasis on BP Mike, it’sjust like the opiate industry, everyone’s hooked on opiates in America, there’s Billions of money to made from it for the pharmaceutical industries. I went into hospital for pain in my upper right quadrant, they thought it might be gall bladder related. They gave me an injection of morphine for the pain, I can honestly say I was in far more pain after the morphine than before I went in. I felt ill, I couldn’t keep my eyes open, I couldn’t sleep that night, the nurse came and gave me a second injection, one of the worst night in my life, I felt like I was rolling off my bed, I was dizzy, the pain had tripled. Morning came and I felt so sick with nausea, I then vomited 🤮 lots of bile, what a relief! Whether it was a bad reaction to opiates, I don’t know, but my point is, that these are like BP meds, there taken for years, opiates because they become addictive, and BP meds because they tend not to work once there stopped if there taking for a short time. There’s a method behind all of this. Pharmaceutical companies want us hooked on meds, after all, that’s how they make their 💵 💰 money. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.