Blood pressure and kidney

Posted , 7 users are following.

Could a 120/90 blood pressure can cause kidney problem?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Problems with vascular health can affect kidney function as the filtering function of the kidneys is connected to healthy blood flow.  However, a BP reading of 120/90 is not indicative of high blood pressure so you may wish to rule out other causes if you have kidney problems.
    • Posted

Did you mean, if you don't have kidney problems?

• Posted

Just for info, the kidneys rely upon good blood flow to be able to do their filtering function, so if arteries are damaged or restricted, blood flow poor etc., in turn causing high BP, then the kidney function is compromised.  However, a reading of 120/90 is pretty much at 'normal' and wouldnt indicate that BP alone would cause any kidney dysfunction.  If Martymarbella has kidney problems, its most likely due to other factors which need investigating and not isolated to blood pressure, which in his case is pretty good.

• Posted

You do know there are other things that cause elevations in blood pressure, right? My bp was up from smoking and drinking, I quit and it went down. Some people are predisposed to developing hypertension and can be as healthy as a horse. Throwing things like kidney problems in tends to scare people, I've had mine checked and they work fine and have absolutely no problems like many others yet people still get high blood pressure.

• Posted

Not immediately, if this is just recent and your numbers have been good up to a year ago then look at two things, 1. What you are eating, 2. What's eating you. Stress can cause diastolic to rise but excessive sodium can also do that. It takes a pretty good stretch of time for this reading to do any damage, but I'd get on it and try to fix it naturally. Exercise helps bp go down and has a good affect on stress. If you exercise regularly already then it could be something unseen. I'd go see a doc amigo

• Posted

Prehypertension is 120/89.  Hypertension would be above that. You could manage your numbers by walking or exercising at least 30 minutes daily and a healthy lifestyle.
  • Posted

This is the new guidelines for blood pressure:

• Posted

Yeah, a chart that was bought and paid for by big pharma is not to be taken as gospel. A couple weeks ago the pa I had to see was laughing about just recently learning that their calling 120/90 too high and that the new, new range should be 100/60. Now consider what all of what I just said, how much money do they stand to make off of gullible patients who are likely to be frightened into getting put on unnecessary medication. My bp was at 122/68 yesterday at my spinal block appointment. Now, take into consideration a few little pearls of wisdom. In most cases, when we sleep our bp dips. There are some who's doesn't, but this isn't about them so let's press on. If your blood pressure gets too low, guess what happens? Your circulation becomes an issues, vital organs get starved old much needed oxygen, nutrients and all that jazz. Now, the best part, almost ever cna, na, pa and even doctors do not measure blood pressure correctly which give incorrect readings and almost always decidedly higher than what you should really have. Then there's white coat hypertension and I shouldn't have to tell You what that is. So, you can say whatever you want, but it doesn't make sense to have these numbers flip flopped so often unless there's an agenda. Think about it kidney bean, what did you bring up in your very first reply? Kidney problems. If someone get bad info and gets put on no meds, big pharma profits, if someone gets low bp from the unnecessary medication and develops kidney problems from it, who wins? Don't take that chart of yours as gospel or it could end up causing you more trouble than it's worth. I'm telling you this from personal experience, and loss.

• Posted

The voice of common sense Shawn, thank you.  I have relatively good blood pressure and my doctor is happy if mine is within a 120-130/80-90 range, however my partner has issues with elevated BP and his doctor is more than happy if his stays below 135/95 - doesnt mean its 'normal', just that his gets so high theyre just happy when it gets back down to a more reasonable level.  BP meds are a nightmare and if someone can avoid being conned into taking them unnecessarily, all is good.  Back to the original question - which actually didnt ask about whether the BP reading was high, low or otherwise, it asked if that particular reading would be responsible for kidney problems.  Bottom line - probably not, whether or not NICE (under the influence of big pharma) would like us to call 120/90 hypertension, pre-hypertension, 'thinking about' hypertension, etc etc, that reading is not high enough for BP alone to be the major cause of kidney dysfunction, unless there were other factors at play.  I think we'd all be a lot less sick if we stopped worrying about every digit and started listening to our bodies and concentrating on our lifestyle choices.

• Posted

typed a reply and it got blocked to be moderated for some reason - no idea why, I didnt include any links or such.  oh well, here's hoping.

• Posted

Only use the chart as a guideline. Some people can control their blood pressure by living a healthy lifestyle. Then again, many people like myself have hypertension in their genes.😕

• Posted

i acergae 140 - 150 / 100 - 110 for decade without meds. All the tests show I have no kidney problems.
    • Posted

Well that is pretty high, how old are you? I'm 46. To be honest, each person is different and I honestly think some have tougher systems and that some may have higher or lower needs for certain things like potassium, magnesium, sodium or calcium. My potassium was like right in the zone of awesome 4.3 on the scale and I was having heart flutters, between the time they stuck a machine on me to wear at home to when I had to bring it back in, I ate a banana every day and the flutters went poof.

• Posted

Those numbers are pretty high. If that's your average, you probably have hypertension. You should see a doctor. You might have good kidneys for now, but why gamble with your kidneys.

• Posted

The new Hypertension guidelines set up by the American Heart & Hypertension Society have nothing to do with Big Pharma. As we learn more we adapt to what is in the best interest of a patints well-being. It does seem strange to many that systolic BP between 120 - 129 is now considered 'elevated' and that diastolic BP between 80-90 is also elevated is inevitably putting many more folk into the hypertensive category. If it makes people pay more attention to weight, smoking, life style etc sooner than later then this is probably a good thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.