Blood pressure drops when standing - related to bad varicose vein??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a bad varicose vein in my left leg and will be having it stripped next month.

I am just getting over another bout of phlebitis. On top of that I seem to be suffering from dizziness and almost passing out when I stand up for too long and being active. For example I feed the cats and feel like I have run a 100 metre sprint! Light headed, short of breath, sweaty and heart pounding.

I have had a full heart check and that is fine but I have read about varicose veins causing your blood pressure to drop when standing due to the blood pooling in the veins.

I have low blood pressure anyway and suffered from it dropping during pregnancy and when I had an anaesthetic so I know I am prone to it.

Anyone else heard of it or suffer from it?

I have another appointment with my GP today so I will keep you posted as well.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.