Blood pressure fluctuation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm writing right now because I need some help and advice.

I'm an 18 years old male from Germany, I weigh 69-70 kg and I'm 1.80 cm tall. I've never drunk alcohol regularly (maybe 4 glasse in total in my entire life) and I've never smoked either. My diet is actually not the best one, but I avoid eating too much sugar, I drink only water, even though my fruit and vegetable intake could be better (I usually eat one or two fruits a day, vegetables only indirectly at lunch or dinner if my mother casually chooses a dish which includes it). My salt intake is maybe really high on some day (for example one day I ate 500 g french fries for lunch and lasagne for dinner). I exercise 3 times a week (30 minutes jogging), sometimes rope jumping, although not regularly, sometimes I skip due to laziness and I do some push ups almost every day . However I have to say that my lifestyle is definitely a sedentary one. I think that I spend 90% of my average day sitting. That being said (thank you for your patience if you read to this point), here is my actual issue.

I first measured my blood pressure with a blood pressure monitor that you put on your wrist, which is famous for being inaccurate and considering that it was pretty old, I really thought it to be defective. On average I always got 140-149 systolic (I don't remember the diastolic value though), one day 133. So I went to a pharmacy  and let my blood pressure to be measured, I walked 5 minutes and when I arrived I rested 5 minutes, the systolic value was 149 (they used that blood pressure monitor you put on your arm). So immediately, I went to the doctor who is basically 50 m away from the pharmacy. I sat for roughly 15 minutes in the waiting room and my doctor measure my blood pressure twice , both times 115 systolic, which is supposed to be normal.

So this is my question: How can my blood pressure fluctuate so drastically in a timeframe of 20 minutes? I'm really worried and confused.

Thank you very much and I'm sorry for my "novel"

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Blood pressure can fluctuate for numerous reasons, that’s why we’re told to take several readings a day. Food can elevate the readings, tea, alcohol, stress, exercise etc. I wouldn’t worry too much about the readings unless their consistently high. The wrist monitors aren’t that accurate, remember to calibrate your BP monitor every year. 

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. But still my blood pressure fluctuated very badly (from 149 to 115) in 20 minutes. I didn't eat nothing in between.

• Posted

Mines does too, think a lot of people are prone to that hat happening. It doesn’t worry me, probably because it’s quite common for this to happen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.