Blood pressure has lowered

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i am 20 years old and I have been on hrt currently for just over 4 years, I developed hypertension in that time and been on beta blockers for the last 3 years, my blood pressure usually ranges between 160/90 and 140/90 depending but I went to the doctors recently and it was found it was 116/72 which is the lowest I have ever had my blood pressure, what has made my blood pressure lower as I feel like I haven’t changed anything dramatically? 

Thankyou 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

meganlouise97...Blood pressure fluctuates from minute to minute, i.e. you can have a reading of say 125/75, then 140/80 the next. 

Is your bp monitor accurate? This is important because if you are getting inaccurate readings, then whatever you report to the Dr. won't help any. I do find that at the Dr. office, we are usually given just one reading...which is a bare indication of whats' going on. You're just 20yrs of age...& I wonder 'why' you're having bp issues...or are you.

• Posted

My doc told me when there are BP problems in very young people they test aldosterone, renin and cortisol.
    • Posted

Yes this is true. Often resistant hypertension that struggles to correct itself with meds means there is something else going on and that your higher BP is a symptom of something else. The aldostereone check is designed to assess whether your adrenal glands are functioning correctly. When aldosterone is over produced the body keeps hold of sodium and releases in pee too much potassium. Then the GP needs to refer you to an Endocrinologist who will perform a series of tests to see what is disrupting the adrenal gland (s) - sometimes an adenoma, or perhaps enlarged (adrenal hyperplasia).
  • Posted

Hello MeganLouise,  I have just been reading your other posts & you are, a complex case, aren't you?  Have you seen a Cardiologist?  HRT tends to increase blood pressure.

I have very erratic blood pressure & they tested my aldosterone, renin and cortisol.  The Cardiologist did an ECG & an Echo too, have you had any of these tests?

What is the Gynaecologist doing about your Ovarian Cyst?  Do you ever see your Consultants together?  Are you in the UK?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.