Blood pressure higher in dominant arm

Posted , 12 users are following.

I started checking my blood presure a year ago because recently I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma, so I sometimes worry it is not asthma but something heart related. Anyway, I always used to measure my left arm at home and the blood pressure would be between 140 to 150 (lower pressure is always normal between 75-85). I started eating a bit better and exercising and brought down my pressure to between 130-140. I was happy until I read that blood pressure should be taken on both arms and surprise, surprise my BP on right arm is 150/80.

I was reading that having such a big difference between left and right arm is a sign of trouble. I really don't want to go on meds, not because I don't believe in them, but because I am scared of side effects. Docs prescribed me asthma meds which just made my asthma symptoms worse and I actually manage it with sauna and home remedies just fine. I should add that I run intensively for 5km 4-5 times a week. Occasionally eat junk food, but eat healthy too. My question is why such a big discrepency between 2 arms. If the cuff size is wrong, then  both arms should still be similar.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Suggestion: use an Excel sheet to log your blood pressure readings, including differences between left and right arm. You will likely be pleasantly surprised.

Using a grap in the Excel sheet is also quite usefull to see your BP evolution as a function  of time.

• Posted

I believe there is too much unknown in the medical field about blood pressure. Consider that in the 70's,  normal BP ranges were based on age plus 100 years. That was based on what practitioners had found to be true across the board since the development of the cuff.

What changed that chart? If you read articles or studies, currently, the previous is mentioned only as in reference to "folk medicine" or bad practice; however, it is obvious that the figures were based on record and, from what I have been able to find, around 80% of the population fell into that age/pressure category. Today we expect everyone to have the BP of a 20 year old or take risky medicines to lower the pressure. The problem? What is the cause? The idea of taking blood pressure in two arms makes sense but consider that you can take blood pressure in the same arm multiple times and get ever-decreasing readings. One practitioner said that was due to a body reaction to pressure on the arm itself as if to say like rolling over on your arm during sleep. It is my conclusion that there is much to learn about blood pressure and a whole lot of patients perhaps made so on purpose $$$. What about the Japanese study of medicated BP patients versus non-medicated and no difference found in longevity?

• Posted

At that time we did not have the modern BP drugs to treat it. Now the goal posts for BP and blood glucose are moved every few years.
    • Posted

Yes, with the idea of lower the better, but, to reach the lower, they have to put everyone on those modern BP drugs, thus the AMA discussion of changing the guidelines to include age. Pharma is against it and is supporting a totally new guideline that has 115 a new systolic.
    • Posted

One must allow for full-cycle completion prior to repeating a blood pressure measurement.  Your logic/information is faulty.   There is every reason to verify, at least once in a while, that there is not, for example, a 20Hg difference in readings between arms.  Also, measurement taken while one is standing, at least on occasion, and for specific symptoms such as dizziness

http://wellnessproposals.com/health-care/handouts/blood-pressure/adult-blood-pressure-manual.pdf

• Posted

I made a mistake on my post. I meant to say that in the 70's blood pressure was based on a person's age plus 100, NOT 100 years geesh!

• Posted

ok, a bit of personal case here: I have been diagnosed with hypertension. I am 55 and overweight by around 25 pounds according to my Primary care doctor. There is a family history of HBP and I am left-handed. In March I went to the hospital after complaining about chest pains. We did not know what they were. The cardio unit, comprised of four Cardiologists, were my doctors. I went through three days of tests. They took CT, EKGs, MRIs, stress test, on and on. They found no blockage and no issues other than HBP. The ache in the chest? Considered to be digestive or anxiety related. 

I have been reading medical studies on blood pressure and related articles on my issues. My blood pressure this morning was, dominant left arm - 150/89, right arm 130/82. According to doctors, I have no arterial or heart area blockage- yes they checked peripheral arteries as well. I retested my blood pressure 10 minutes later and got a reading of 142/88 on the left arm. There are studies that say the dominant arm blood pressure is higher. I am now wondering if left-handed people should have their blood pressure first checked on the right arm. I never considered this but according to the Mayo clinic article, most primary care physicians only do one arm. Consider too that most people are right-handed. These "studies" bring up questions and coupled with my earlier posts of decades of blood pressure readings considered normal based on 100 plus the age of the patient and, 80 percent of the population falling into that category, makes me wonder. I know that Americans are fatter, as a group and less healthy, but there is also a concern over so many patients being treated for high blood pressure- so much so that the AMA has revamped the guidelines to include age. Another medical article mentioned a "comeback" to the change calling for a new baseline of 115/80 or some such. In the end of the article it mentions big pharma supporting the new baseline in favor of the AMA guidelines including age- this all from medical field studies/articles. 

• Posted

The difference between your readings is completely insignificant.  It is not a matter of dominate-use arm.  We're talking heart function, vessels, arteries.  Not a dominance issue here.  All that testing - did they do an angiogram?  Do you use the right size cuff for the size of your upper arm?  I can't believe you had such a thorough workup if your B/P systolic sits around 150.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.