Blood Pressure Machine irregular heartbeat.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm a 20yr old male who exercises 1-2 a week. I normally have a low hr. Around 65-50 bpm. I have had a chest x ray and was told there's no enlargement of my heart. I also had an ecg or ekg (can't remember). They only did the ekg for about 15 secs and said they saw no irregularities. I recently purchased a bp machine that includes an irregular heartbeat indicator. Over the past 2 weeks I've taken my bp 100 times. My bp has stayed around 130/65 on average. I've had the irregular heartbeat indicator show up 13/100 tests should i be concerned? 2 years ago I was told by a gp that I had what sounded like a heart murmur, but oy when I was laying on my back? I've had another gp totally dismiss what the other told me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vpuzz, my BP machine is very accurate, and has indicated to several times that I was in Afib when I didn't realise it. So I was able to get cardioverted back into sinus rhythm before it caused other issues.

I suffered heart failure back in Dec 2014. I'd gone into Afib without realising ( and looking back, was probably in Afib for at least a couple of weeks).

This caused my left ventricle to become severely enlarged & had an ejection fraction of 25%. Cardiologist was considering putting a difbrillator in me, but fortunately, I made a good recovery and now have an EF of 58%.

If 13/100 GP tests are showing abnormal heart rhythms, that would suggest that something is going on. I wouldn't be panicking at this point but I'd certainly be wanting to know why.

im a 50 y/o male, and looking back, I now suspect that I'd been having bouts of Afib for the last 2 or 3 decades that self corrected, until one day they didn't, and I ended up with heart failure.

I used to think that my palpitations were normal as I used to get them fairly often when drinking, smoking and heavy partying etc. and they always went away, so I thought "mmmm, no biggy " and kept on doing it. I guess my lifestyle has caught up with me now.

So YES, I'd definitely get it checked out. Knowing what's going on can help you make lifestyle choices now, to avoid crappy consequences later.

Good luck with it all, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

• Posted

Hi,

Heart murmurs can be benign as mine has been all my life. You might want to check into the 13/100. Could be PAC's (premature contractions), not dangerous. Feel any palpatations or any other symptoms?

• Posted

Every now and then I'll feel as though I can't get a full satisfying breath w/ some Palpatations. It comes and goes. I'm always anxious when it happens so maybe anxiety causes it, or the symptoms cause anxiety? I'm going to the doctor next week. Hopefully it's nothing.
    • Posted

Loss of breath is a symptom of a palpitation. It is sudden and is a cause for anxiety. It's one of the symptoms I tolerate the least. If your doctor suspects PAC's or another type of arrythmia, they will most likely give you a monitor to wear. Most arrythmias are not life threatening and are only treated based on the severity of the symptoms you feel. The doctor's will be able to of course tell you more once they see you. I hope you can keep your anxiety level down until you can see your doctor.
  • Posted

I say - no big deal. All kinds of things can cause heart palpitations and 99.9% of those are benign.

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.