Blood pressure medications

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi , can anyone tell me what is the Safest blood pressure medication out there, with few side effects !

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great question since it seems weekly more & more are being recalled - so many of them have yucky side effects too!

• Posted

I also would like to know which is the safest with the least side effects. I took Lisiopril HZT for years and all of a sudden my lips started swelling from it. Now I take Irbesarten and Atenolol. My doctor just took me off Amlodipine (Norvasc) because of my ankles swelling, being jittery, falling due to lack of balance, and sleep disturbance.

• Posted

That's easy: weight loss! Get weight down to "normal" or a little lower. Works for about 98% and has many other benefits, too. 😃

Other than that the ARB's probably have the best effectiveness with the least side effects, but at least in the US BP meds are usually given in combinations, also the ARBs tend to be the newest and most expensive, which is why they often try other stuff first.

But an ARB or ACE II inhibitor, maybe a small dose of beta blocker, and maybe add a diuretic, and the side effects are generally minimal. There are a dozen different brands of each of these. It's the calcium channel blockers that seem to have the most side-effects. And larger doses of beta blocker can cause more problems, too.

But seriously, if it applies to you: weight loss!

• Posted

For me its not because of being overweight 5ft 5 and 9 stone also very active! Sadly down to genetics for me.

• Posted

DITTO SAME HERE, always been a fitness fanatic . GOOD EATING, hardly drink , never smoked .my father died at 53 so my b/pressure is genetic ☹ too.

• Posted

GERALDINE, try Losartant Potassium. I am someone who is extremely sensitive to very many different BP pills, experiencing serious side effects, but have been able to tolerate Losartan. An expert pharmacist tells me it is the drug about which he hears the least complaints.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.