Blood pressure meds

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello new on this site but have been following for a long time. My question is I have been taking amlodipine for BP since Jan. I have noticed swelling of my ankles, weight gain and am very tired all the time. Anyone else ever had this problem. ......my doctor tells me it does not cause some of these symptoms. But I have read about it.Any help here!!!#!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gale

I tried a few different types of blood pressure tablets and they all gave me problems such as ankle swelling and coughing. It was my pharmacist who suggested trying diuretics instead so my doctor put me on Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg - no more ankle swelling or coughing. I would go back to your doctor and ask for something else, you shouldn't have to put up with ankle swelling.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Cher.....will call my doc this week. Also forgot to ask if anyone gets dry mouth...drives me crazy!!!
    • Posted

Hi again,

Dry mouth is a common side effect of blood pressure meds but I'm sure you know that. I get dry mouth with anxiety issues and if I take pain killers for headaches even. You could just try supping on a hard boiled sweet and keeping hydrated. When you see your doctor I would mention it to him/her so that it can be taken into account when prescribing a different med for you.

Take care,

• Posted

Thanks for your advice......I also take meds for anxiety. Feels like that's all I do is take medication. So many side effects. Just hoping my doctor doesn't get upset with me because I want to change my BP meds. I guess it's my choice......hopefully they can find a different drug. Keep in touch Cher.
  • Posted

Yes it can cause swelling in your feet i am on 2.5mgs of amlodipine for BP and yes it does cause swelling 

All you have to do is put your feet up and the swelling will go down 

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.....did you gain weight on this drug. I have gained 12lbs. Don't know if I wanna stay on this.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth......did you gain weight taking this drug. I gained 12lbs. Don't know if I want to continue taking this.
    • Posted

I do get a little bit bloated my weight is up and down sometimes i am in the 190s and sometimes i am near 200 it also depends on what you eat too 

Try not to eat so much salt and drink water and get out there a exercise 

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Gale

I too take anxiety med, Citalopram 10mg.

I wouldn't worry about bothering your doctor. I'm sure he or as he would want the right med for you. Lots of people have to go back several times before they get a med that suits them. Let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.