Blood pressure meds give me severe reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

Blood pressure meds give me severe reflux which has caused me to get esophagitis and gastritis.i tried 3 different arbs all which have caused this.they gave me a ace to try but I think it is causing this problem too. My blood pressure goes up to 160/100 . The pills get it to 120/80 but they get me so sick I can't eat. I tried diet and exercise regularly. .I bike ride 20 miles 3 times a week at least I don't know what to do as docs think I'm a head case.any ideas please.im 40 years old blood pressure issues started last year.the only way to stop the pain and reflux is to stop the meds

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also never had reflux problems before going on meds.
  • Posted

Reflux and esophagitis can be helped by taking a tablespoonful of Manuka Honey before meals as it puts on a protective coating. Be careful though as it can put your blood Glucose up.   
    • Posted

So if I take honey with my pill. Do u think that will help it as it seems these pills are irritating my stomach
    • Posted

When you read the leaflet with the pills they warn of stomach problems. The honey will protect your oesophagus but probablt not as far down as your stomach.
  • Posted

What about a channel blocker or a plain water pill? I tried those first and gave me all those stomach symptoms so I was switched to an ace and I’ve been fine.

Also Apple cider vinegar helps in general with stomach issues

• Posted

Vito, I both sympathise and empathise with the horrid side effects that affect some of on on BP meds.  I have a teaspoonful of Manuka honey in a small pot of organic 'live' fat-free yoghurt before taking any pills.  The Manuka can help with reflux and the yoghurt acts as a stomach liner against the pills. 

• Posted

Vito, they might hold up this reply as the moderators may not like a product being mentioned but the yoghurt I have is Yeo Valley fat-free organic 'live' yoghurt.  Be careful with the Manuka honey brand - there are now many different brands on the market which are not guaranteed, ie their Unique Manuka Factor (the antibacterial quality) is not up to scratch.  Samples were subjected to testing a couple of years ago and one of the top quality ones to pass the test was from Marks & Spencer.  Not cheap but not the most expensive either.

• Posted

Vito, low dose Losartan Potassium is the only BP medication out of about 8 tried that I can take without horrid side effects.  It is also the one that my pharmacist tells me he hears the least complaints about from his patients.  Worth a try for you maybe to see if your problems with side effects improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.