Blood pressure monitors

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello  Am due to gp tomorrow but just wondered if anyone has had trouble with their blood pressure monitors.  I was on amlodipine for some years and my readings at home were between 120 to 139 systolic and 54 to 65 diastolic ( I should point out that I did ask my previous gp about the low diastolic but did not seem bothered and said it was the medication) At the surgery the readings are always higher 140 to 150 systolic according to my gp white coat syndrome would make sense as I suffer from an anxiety.  The amlodipine caused increasing ankle swelling over the years and when we recently moved my new gp stopped the amlodipine and changed me to bendrofluorizde (not sure I've spelt that correctly).  The ankle swelling is virtually gone.  My readings since changing medications have been similar to before with higher readings at the surgery.  I had to change the batteries on my monitor and since then the readings have been higher ( 3/4 days). I have had  systolic in the 140's and 150's.  However I wonder if their is a problem with the blood pressure monitor or whether is needs replacing or recalibrating. I get error readings that cuff not inflated enough and also the machine inflates starts to deflate in then inflates again giving a higher reading.  It is true that I have been rather anxious this week but even so have never had readings that high.  I am not mentioning the name and model I use as I thought they might delete the post.  It is well known and a basic model bought from the chemist which my previous gp said was fine.  Anyone had this happen to them.  Obviously will take the monitor to my new gp tomorrow.  Also wondering if the lower reading were false because the monitor was failing.  Thanks.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I expect the doctor will check your machine against his just compairing their readings, you'll know if you need a new one then. When you change drugs its very common to get some changes in your BP your GP will ajust what your taking until he's happy. I don't think he will be that worried by the readings your getting and I don't think you need to be either.

• Posted

Hello to everyone who was kind enough to reply to my post.  I saw my gp today and in the surgery my blood pressure was 140/70.  My readings which as you know were higher for a few days have come down and the one I did mid morning was 128/66.  The gp was not worried about it the systolic being higher as he knew I was anxious.

He did say that he recommends patients purchase a new blood pressure monitor annually as ther are now relatively cheap and it costs to have them recalibrated.  He said they really only last a few months. So I have ordered a new one.  I feel relieved and will make a real effort with my anxiety and diet.  Thank you all once again for replying.

• Posted

That's probably true. In fact, mine was on special offer and only cost £25 so maybe I'll invest in a new one on my next UK visit (they're cheaper there and the Big B gives you loyalty points too!) It'll be about a year old by then. But I'll still ask my GP to have a look at it when I see him in a few weeks' time.

• Posted

When I asked Omron how much it would cost to calibrate my old one it was about £35 plus the postage costs so it was not viable.

My present top of the range one  bought on Ebay and cost a third of the retail price. From its source it seemed to a sample that had beeen given to a doctor. 

• Posted

My husbands O is over five years old, about every six months or so we check it with the GP's big blood pressure monitor and each and every time it has come back with the same reading, or within a tiny amount difference.

When I have thought it may be giving me a bad reading with my husbands heart condition, I check it on myself, I know where my normal blood pressure sits so thats a good double check that the reading I am getting from husband is not a fault, but something to be taken seriously. see above posting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.