Blood pressure "normal" after stopping Ramipril

Posted , 7 users are following.

I recently had to go into hospital to have kidney stone removed. When I went for the pre operation assessment the nurse told me to stop taking Ramipril (which I did). , But when the nurses carried out normal observation tests (blood pressure, pulse, temperature etc) my blood pressure was 'normal' not higher, so I was told not to take the Ramipril. After being discharged I went to see my GP who also said that my blood pressure was normal.

Has anyone else been the same, or is it just me?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have experienced much the same, only a bit more!

The cardio doctor told me to take 10mg Ramipril some 12 months ago. Started at 2.5mg and increased to 5mg then 10mg over a few weeks, with blood samples at each increment.

Since starting this regime my BP settled at about 130-ish over 70-80, which was OK,  BUT my heart rate kept speeding up, often around 180 bpm for days on end, involving hospitalisation at one time.

Saw a cardiologist about ten days ago and he said STOP taking Ramipril as it could be causing the fast heartbeat and he has prescribed Candesartan 20mg as an alternative - which I have not yet taken because my BP is still OK!  BUT not only that, my heartbeat has been steady at 72-ish for over a week!

Ramipril may suit SOME people but these drugs can really mess others up.

• Posted

I agree with your comment that these drugs can mess some people up.

I was diagnosed with high BP 160/100 about 2 years ago and was prescrbed 1.25mg which did nothing to lower my BP. it was increased to 2.5 and then 5mg neither made any dfference other than lower my heartrate.

What did happen though, was that I suffered from fatigue, joint pains and erectile disfunction and became depressed.As my BP was still hgh the Gp suggested I increase the dose to 10mg which I declined.

I decided that I would try to change my lifestyle and reduce salt intake eat more fuit and veg and fresh produce and exercise (brisk 20 min walks) as the weight fell so did my blood pressure,after 4 months and a stone lighter in weight my BP was around 130/85

I asked my GP to lower my dose to 2.5mg which she did with words of caution about the risks involved..

I have been on the lower dose for 4 weeks now and my BP is down to 125 /75 ish my heart rate increased slightly for a fortnight or so but has settled to around 75bpm.

I feel happier,the joint pains have gone and so to has the erectile problems! I hope to stop taking these tablets completely if I can maintain my BP at this level.

I feel they did nothing to lower my BP and the only real winner in prescribing these tablets are the drug manufactures

• Posted

Lucky you! I hope it stays that way for you - I've been on meds for a year now [initially Ramipril but changed after few months to Losartan] and would dearly love to come off them too but I don't think it will happen.What dose of Ramipril were you on?
    • Posted

Ramped up to 10mg once a day but after a while I complained to my GP that I was sure this was part of the cause of my fast heart beat. He at first said it probably was NOT the cause, but as he was speaking he was also tapping away on his PC keyboard.  "Hold on" he said: "cut it back to 5mg" ... he had obviously found this WAS a probable cause.

So, I was on 5mg again but as I mentioned earlier the cardiologist advised me to switch to Candesartan, just 2mg daily. No problems so far but I shall be wary about upping the dose.  How I hate these BP lowering chemicals!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with high BP 160/100 about 2 years ago and was prescrbed 1.25mg which did nothing to lower my BP. it was increased to 2.5 and then 5mg neither made any dfference other than lower my heartrate.

What did happen though, was that I suffered from fatigue, joint pains and erectile disfunction and became depressed.As my BP was still hgh the Gp suggested I increase the dose to 10mg which I declined.

I decided that I would try to change my lifestyle and reduce salt intake eat more fuit and veg and fresh produce and exercise (brisk 20 min walks) as the weight fell so did my blood pressure,after 4 months and a stone lighter in weight my BP was around 130/85

I asked my GP to lower my dose to 2.5mg which she did with words of caution about the risks involved..

I have been on the lower dose for 4 weeks now and my BP is down to 125 /75 ish my heart rate increased slightly for a fortnight or so but has settled to around 75bpm.

I feel happier,the joint pains have gone and so to has the erectile problems! I hope to stop taking these tablets completely if I can maintain my BP at this level.

I feel they did nothing to lower my BP and the only real winner in prescribing these tablets are the drug manufactures

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.