Blood Pressure / Panic Disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just want to start by saying thank you for taking the time to read over this and for giving me advice smile

I'm a 24 year old male, I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds (overweight).

Roughly a year ago (10-11 months to be exact) I had a huge panic attack that triggered a on-going Panic Disorder (PTSD). I went to my doctor about two days after the initial attack when I realized my anxiety was more intense then it's ever been before, the first time I went my blood pressure was fine (125/81), fast forward four days I went in again for a follow up due to my medication reacting to me poorly and my blood pressure spiked to 150/84. I've always had a huge fear of feeling my heart beat along with doctors checking my blood pressure in general so this wasn't to shocking for my doctor to see it spike, especially with the state of mind I was in. A couple more appointments go by within the same month and my blood pressure was jumping around, ranged from 128/80-150/80 with the highest spike being 160/84. My doctor didn't really seem to be to worried about it because I informed him I was at the verge of a panic attack each time I was in the office.

Fast forward to today, my Dad who is 63 just got diagnosed with Hypertension (It started rather recently) and it drove my health anxiety off the charts, I began to backtrack on those appointments and began to worry "What if I have hypertension, I'm going to die!, etc" yanno, all those fun anxious thoughts. My girlfriend has a blood pressure machine (Don't know the exact name of them) at home and I decided to check my blood pressure, the first reading was 148/86, I was extremely nervous at the time because like I stated before I hate taking my blood pressure in general, I decided to lay down and relax for roughly 20 minutes before taking it agian..Once I was relaxed (well as relaxed as I could get) I took it again and got a reading of 138/87 which put me at ease, however it's still borderline Hypertension.

It's nearly impossible for me to remain calm and get an accurate reading, especially within the past week or so due to my hypochondriac self coming out full blown. I'm worried I have Hypertension, especially at a young age. My cholesterol is borderline high as well (Mainly due to high Triglycerides), my diet and laziness is to blame. However I've been changing my diet for the better (Veggies, Fruits, No more Soda, cut down on smoking to the point I only have 2 throughout the day...YES I KNOW I SHOULD QUIT COMPLETELY) and I've been exercising (push-ups, sit ups, going on walks, jumping jacks etc). 

Basically what I came here for is for advice on what to do / hoping that someone can put my mind to ease...I've found many studies that Anxiety can cause high blood pressure spikes and what not so I'm hoping that's the main cause of my high readings. I've been seeing a Psychiatrist for the past 7-8 months and I've made a lot of progress with my mental health since, however the Panic Disorder still strongly affects my  every day life. I'm not on medication at the moment because my doctor believes I am able to beat this on my own and not have to rely on medication which I strongly agree with.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The BP is not that high that you need to panic about it, almost certainly a reflection of your anxiety.  No doubt you should lose weight, exercise more, watch your diet, and STOP SMOKING, but I know you've heard that all before.  Well, take it seriously!  Would probably fix your anxiety, too.  But at least, don't worry about the BP, move that way down your list.

• Posted

Thank you, just hearing simple stuff like that makes me feel a lot better. I'm making changes slowly but surely, my diet has improved a ton along with the amount of exercise I get. 

I hope I start to feeling better soon smile

• Posted

Josh - sounds as though you are on the right track, see if you have a diet club preferably a volunteer group, not as expensive, nearby where you live, and or find a diet club that suits you, husband and I have just joined a diet club, what a great bunch, girls and boys, and like husband said full of life and really mixed ages, from 80 down to early 20's, lots of other outings and social days, bus trips, swimming groups, BBQ days, really active group.

?did you realize that exercise helps with anxiety, something to do with hormones that are released from that exercises, the bonus is its going to help you loose weight.

?AND YES GIVE UP THE SMOKES, what are costs of those smokes use that money for the diet club.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.