Blood pressure reading

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been getting reading from Tuesday last week it was 192/109, Wednesday - 201/102 Thursday 170/118 then same day 202/111 friday - 186/97 and Saturday - 177/104 sunday 159/126 , Monday 194/97 , tuesday 204/110 Wednesday - 191/116 today 185/105 . In a dilemma.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

How are you taking your readings? Are you relaxing for at least 5 minutes before a reading, sitting upright and in a quiet place? Also, do you wait at least 30 min after eating, bathing or even moderate exercise? Also, are you fighting a cold or flu? Those factors can all affect your readings.

• Posted

i understand why you are expecting the BP to be taken this way. it's written in the books, Dr will tell you that you have to be relaxed. to be fair, when i am completely relaxed, my BP is very normal.

on the other hand, cardiologist like the ambulatory BP readings taken over 24 hours. Here the reading is taken every half an hour. So, if you areat work then you are always moving around.

Which of the two readings do you consider to be more realistic, the relaxed or ambulatory?

confusing issue

• Posted

The standards only apply to resting.

There's very little I've ever seen about just what to expect when you are active, only that it's going to be much higher and that is perfectly normal.

• Posted

Those are high numbers. Have you been taking meds? Which meds?

• Posted

Do you take just one reading or three over a ten minute period ? Even at home you can be stressed while doing them. As you have a monitor you must presumably have had hypertension for some time. Are you on any medication. If not you should see your doctor.

• Posted

When you get yourself into a stressed & worried state over constant BP readings the only way to really solve it is to go to your GP and insist on having a 24 hour automatic half-hourly BP monitor fitted. A couple of readings in the GP's surgery doesnt solve the problem if, like me, you tense up as soon as a BP reading is taken. The 24 hour monitor is more accurate and it can give you peace of mind and also determine what if any treatment you need.

• Posted

Regardless of how you're taking the readings, and also taking into account that you probably now have an element of anxiety about the high levels coming into play, You really should call your doctor or NHS direct, soon. My hubby has always had hypertension, inherited. Last year he had very high readings and I finally managed to get him to call NHS direct. They sent an ambulance and at the ER they referred him to the cardiology dept. After a couple of days of tests, including an angiogram, they discovered he had severely blocked arteries and some months later he had bypass surgery - if he hadnt called who knows whether he'd still be here. I'm not trying to frighten you - it may only be that you need your meds altered but continuous high readings like this should be investigated.

• Posted

Took the med but it stop me focusing. Don't want to waste anybody time. Been getting pain in my neck. Left arm and bit of chest pain.

• Posted

With readings like 202/111 you should be hospitalised so they can figure out what is causing your high blood pressure. If you GP has been treating you and you still have these readings he should have you admitted asap. You do not mess around with Stage 3 BP readings!!!

Paul

• Posted

I totally agree with you Conns. Please Zoe - put your BP monitor down and call your doctor or dial 999, you need this investigating quickly.

• Posted

Took my blood pressure just now it 190/106 did it because I got pain in my neck and shoulders.

• Posted

best advice zoe - put the blood pressure monitor away and use the telephone instead!!

• Posted

High Blood Pressure Stage 2

Systolic 140 or over

Diastolic 90 or higher

High Blood Pressure Crisis (consult doctor immediately)

Systolic higher than 180

Diastolic higher than 120

You are on the periphery of CRISIS! The neck and shoulder pain is also worrying.

As I said before GP now.

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.