Blood pressure readings

Posted , 6 users are following.

My omron has been showing majorly low readings along with irregular beats inbetween normal readings. I had a reading of 62/42 pulse 69 and irregular beat next reading was 127/42 same irregular beat then had a normal reading of 128/78 with normal beat. All in the space of ten min. Are these low readings just because of the skipped/irregular beat??? Im going crazy over this

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I asked Omron about this when I got my Omron MIT Elite Plus after my Omron M4 and they replied.

Thank you for your email. 

We can never guarantee readings with this condition, however newer models with irregular heartbeat detection do a much better job of getting a reading with someone who has arrhythmia. 

The M4 won't due to it's age whereas the MIT Elite does, this is why there is an error on the M4.

The gold standard for someone with arrhythmia is doing it manually, you can then compare with the MIT Elite to confirm the accuracy.  

• Posted

Yes an irregular beat can confuse the meters, I've had situation where the meter just gave up, but when there are arrhythmias the readings can be way off.  My meter is about ten years old, fwiw.

?

?I don't know that a "manual" read would be any more accurate, under the circumstances.  Frankly I no longer trust manual reads at all, unless the robot is obviously broken, if there's any discrepancy I trust the robot.

• Posted

Even when I have a 24 hour ambulatory monitor it often gives several error codes before getting a reading or giving up.
    • Posted

The whole idea of squeezing your body to measure the arterial pressures ... I suppose it's a step up from reading tea leaves, but I keep wishing for something better, some kind of little Doppler system.  There is research, but either it doesn't work or it's too expensive, or something.

• Posted

This method has been around for long enough without much improvement.

My mother used to read tea leaves. She always tried to give people good news ending with 'On the whole a very lucky cup with no trials or tribulations'  One day however she said to someone that she could see an accident involving a member of her family but not to worry as he would be all right. 

There was a mining accident and quite a few were injured but the persons brother was all right. Her friend then called her a witch:-)

• Posted

batteries low, is one reason why I have had problems with my Omron.

?Other than that agree it will error, and or give you weird readings sometimes, for no reason that I can figure out, I will for my husband take his readings, he has heart failure, 4 -5 times, one after the other, and ignore the ridiculous readings, and only if they stay crazy do I take him to the hospital with my Omron, I have had it checked by being on the other arm at the same time the hospital has done a reading to prove it is close to correct, came back with exactly the same BP reading as the big expensive  hospital BP reader. 

?Nurses and Dr's checked with old manual system they were so worried one time, they had reason to be worried, his heart was beating extremely slowly, pacemaker installed later in the day.

• Posted

I use rechargeable batteries and they don't last long between charges.

My consultant at the hypertension centre always says to take four readings over a ten minute period  and to believe them if three are around the same figure.

• Posted

Great, and if all four match, run out and buy a lotto ticket with numbers that add up to your reading?  Kewl.

?My machine is kind of slow anyway, I don't like to take repeat reads with it, don't like the idea of squashing an artery more often than necessary.  If I get a hokey reading I usually wait an hour or two to retry.

• Posted

I would seriously consider checking in against a manual device if you have and know how to use one.  Those readings could be a result of irregular beats.  I know the  nurses at my cardiologist's office were not able to get my bp when I was having irregular beats.

• Posted

Spoke with doctor and yes irregular beats at time of taking bp can produce a low reading
    • Posted

Or an error message. I get them on my monitor and when having a 24 hour one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.