Blood pressure spike whilst asleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have noticed through a ambulatory blood pressure monitor that my blood pressure spikes in the middle of the night on a regular basis. My watch takes blood pressure hourly and I can go from normal sometimes even low BP to high into hypertension range within an hour. Is it normal for blood pressure to spike like this whilst asleep? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The problem is treating BP that spikes. If you treat the highs the lows would go too low
  • Posted

Your blood pressure is naturally lower while you're asleep to your lowest point of the day. The spikes could be caused by snoring, breathing irregularities or dreams and nightmares. I go to sleep worried thinking about things and it affects my sleep too.

I don't have anything that monitors me during the night just yet but I would ask the doctor if I were you just see what his opinion is.

• Posted

The most qualified person to ask about this is your doctor. You mentioned that your 'watch takes bp hourly"..you wear a wrist bp monitor??? If so, their accuracy is very questionable. Is there a reason why you're taking your bp while sleeping?????

Again, if you're concerned, please see your doctor.

• Posted

Many thanks Mike, It is a health monitor wrist band a bit like fitbit but more geared towards health, so monitors sleep, heart rate, breathing rate, blood pressure, fatigue. I got it due to suffering some health issues this year & i wanted to check my sleep quality and it just happens it takes BP hourly and i noticed this spike. I was aware that taking blood pressure on the wrist is not that accurate, so I took several comparison readings with a proper blood pressure monitor and took the average difference which was about 5% and deducted it from the reading. Most readings that were high were still in the high range after this deduction but it is difficult to know for sure without using proper equipment. I just wanted to know if high blood pressure at night was common or not, to whether i should speak to my GP about it. Thanks for your response.  

• Posted

The most qualified person to answer your question of whether high bp at night was common or not would be your doctor.

We're all here as a support system, but I hardly think most of us are qualified to make medical diagnosis or whatever.

• Posted

We don't know what his BP is as he has not told us. Nor do we know any of his other health history.

• Posted

Rachel,

What model or brand is your wrist health monitor? 

I need one that monitors BP and your advice would be so much appreciated and welcomed.

Sincerely,

Bobby Walker

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.