Blood pressure spiking

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been inactive due to severe painful back condition for a few years my blood pressure has been spiking two 198 / 100 I think I need to get exercise but I don't know if this will help I am 70 years old should I just give up and let my arteries Harden I am very frustrated I don't want to have a stroke but I have health conditions and no place to exercise as I live in a rural area does anybody have any advice for me

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana,

I'm 73 and suffer from quite a lot of joint and tendon pain due to an autoimmune condition. My BP isn't as high as yours, but quite often goes to 160/90 these days.

I always find my BP goes up more after a period of reduced activity due to flare-ups of my condition.

I try to keep up a minimum of exercise even during flare-ups, to avoid seizing up too much, and I increase my exercise during periods of remission.

I don't go to any gyms or exercise classes. I walk at least an hour a day 4-5 days a week during remission periods, and as much as I can without overdoing it during flare-ups. I also do a gentle half-hour exercise programme (devised by myself from various sources) in the kitchen on 5 afternoons a week, again tailoring it to my condition. Afternoons are better than mornings if you're a bit creaky. This programme is part aerobic, part flexibility.

I just use whatever I have to hand. For example, I live in a 6th-floor apartment but can't walk up the stairs as it's a rather dangerous spiral staircase and is totally unlit. (A complete nightmare when the lift breaks down, needless to say!) When I realised a few months ago that I was losing strength in my thighs - couldn't step up onto a chair or stand from a kneeling position without pulling myself up - I recruited the kitchen stepping-stool. Mine's one of those fold-flat ones, about 8in (20cm) high when it's up. I now do stepping on that twice a day, and have been gradually increasing the number of steps I do. I make sure I do an equal number stepping up on each foot, to avoid one leg getting stronger than the other. I found it made a noticeable difference to my thigh strength in only a few weeks, and this has now allowed me to do other aerobic exercises, which I'm hoping will help my BP further.

You really don't need a gym or exercise classes, there's always something you can do in your daily life. I'm sure you'd be able to find safe exercises for people with back problems on-line. If not, maybe you could afford a single private session with a physiotherapist, who'd show you some suitable exercises.

• Posted

Hi to you both, lilly has hit the nail on the head, can say better than that.

You could also add some strength training, you don't even have to fork out for specific weights if you can't afford them, your shopping can be your weights, tons packs of sugar, bags of potatoes etc, also your stairs are a great exercise, don't over do it of course, are you on meds for it, if so maybe you need to see your Dr to have your meds reaessed.

• Posted

My normal blood pressure is around 147 over 70 only when it's spikes does it go up that high usually in the night time but have in the past few months found out that I have mitral valve problem I see my cardiologist next month I don't know what he will say I just don't want to have to have surgery but I have been getting breathless a lot anyway getting old it's not fun it's quite scary but we push on you are pretty active for your age Lily that is a good thing but we have to be careful I too have a lot of joint problems in disc problems in my back so we live one day at a time and hope for the best?

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the mitral valve problem, but I believe surgery is a much better option now than it was when I was a nurse (when the dinosaurs walked the earth!) I have a colleague who had it done recently, and he said it's improved his life noticeably.

• Posted

I went with my MIL to see consultant cardiologist as she was diagnosed last year with mitral valve problems and it is quite bad, sadly although he explained the op, not as major as it used to be by far, in under arm I think is how he described it, will admit I was not being to observant because I'm a bit squeamish LOL but after looking at her records and checking her over he decided that it wasn't for her, she does have chronic asthma and some other illness's so she is just getting on with life as best she can, she would have had it at the drop of a hat, she's 89 and still fairly sprightly.

Try not to worry too much if an ops offered you can decide nearer the time

• Posted

Diana, I meant to add - why not ask your cardiologist how much exercise it's safe to do in your condition, and what kind?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.