Blood pressure variation and weather / temperature

Posted , 10 users are following.

My blood pressure typically moves around 10-20 points. I especially tend to be 10-20 points higher in the morning. In December my BP was really high and jumping around. One week my BP averaged 143/96 with a high reading of 164/112, all while on 100 mg Losatan,12.5 HCTZ and 5mg Bystolic. The following week I went to Texas to visit relatives. My average over that week - 120/76 with no AM spike and very little variation. While I was in Texas the average daily high temp was around 70, and where I stayed the thermostat was set to 70 degrees daya and night. In California where I live we have been having a cold spell and the building I work in is normally around 60. Do others see this large of a BP variation with the weather? Maybe something else is affecting me. Perhaps some kind of allergy? 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Since links are a problem here, Google "High blood pressure? Turn up your thermostat" for new research (published August 2018) connecting temperature with hypertension.

• Posted

Doing better since I stopped taking Beta Blockers. But that is a topic in itself. I am working on a recap of my experience titled "Beware the Beta".

I am doing pretty well on 100 mg Losartan with 25 mg HCTZ split into 2 doses, morning and afternoon. Was 130/91 this morning (pretreatment I was 170/110). Hope to bring things down more with some additional weight loss, which now is more feasible without the beta blocker. (I had gained about 30 pounds after starting beta blockers.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.