Blood Presure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone ever experienced their blood presure and heart beat to rise while taking Alendronic Acid, as i have always had low readings of both, and now find that both are far to high, ans was wondering if it may be the tablets that are causing this to happen, i have been on them for 6 months now,other than this i hve had no other side affects.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

[list:1e9e1cf385]I have recently encountered the same symptons, increased blood pressure and faster heart=beat, after taking Alendronic Acid from September of this year.Havintg read your note I will contact my GP.[/list:u:1e9e1cf385]
  • Posted

I too have been taking these tablets for several months and my blood pressure is now quite a lot higher than previously. I will be talking to my doctor about this as I was not warned that this might happen.
  • Posted

As I wrote here at an earlier date, I too have been experiencing similar problems. I had been on the weekly alendronic acid for 9 months, determined to give it a fair go, when I increasingly began to get a racing and erratic heartbeat particularly on the night of the drug day. Very frightening.This side effect, coupled with others - tendon, joint and digestive problems, led me to decide to stop taking this drug. I was beginning to feel like 103 not the fit and active 53 I should be! I have discovered that many others have also experienced the same ill-effects. My GP supported me and at the moment we have decided that I wait and see how much further my bone density decreases - it was -2.2 18 months ago. As disciussed with my GP, this is a complicated issue, with unknown long-term lasting side effects. From all the research I have done it is not clear if bisphoshphates are that beneficial and at the moment I am content to take my chance. There are plenty of disturbing articles to read on the bad side of these drugs and I guess it may be in the end a personal choice as to what risks either way one is prepared to take. I should add that soon after stopping the drug the frightening heart episodes stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.