blood presure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know why my blood presure is different in the left arm to the right,?  blood pressure left 121/62 right 138/68 ( please )

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was told to take it three times right arm after relaxing and three times left, whichever was the highest reading then that should be the one to use for readings.

Neither of your different arms readings is high so I wouldn't worry.

If you ask your gp next visit he/she will explain the reasons for differing numbers.

• Posted

Slightly different readings between the arms is normal. In your case the readings appear fine, and as Alexandria said, for the purposes of treatment, the arm with the higher readings is used. Where there is a large difference between the two it can be indicative of blocked arteries, but further investigation would be carried out before that diagnoses could be made.
  • Posted

i have talked to my doctor about the samething. he said bp can change rapidly and in a matter of seconds your pressure can drop. if it is on going result there may be blood flow issues and get it checked. or ask your doctor is blood flow issues could cause the differnce.

i find after i take myn the first time im sitting around 150/100 but the second check is around 140/90. i think the fear of the high number or watching the machine increases the blood pressure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.