Blood results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there , I'm new to the group and have Hashimotos disease , 

Here are my results, I wasn't converting T4 to T3 so good but have been supplementing with 200mg selenium for a few months and FT3 has increased . I also take 2000iu Vit D , B12 and 100mg Thyroxine 

Was wondering if it might be better to add T3 meds ? 

FT3 4.48 range 2.8 - 7.1 

FT4 18.0 range 12 - 22 

TSH 0.20 range 0.27 - 4.2 

These are my last blood results before starting on selenium ; 

Havent tested for ferritin yet . 

FT3 3.80 RANGE 2.8 - 7.1 

FT4 17.5 RANGE 12 - 22 

TSH 0.20 RANGE 0.27 - 4.2 

Dont really have many symptoms , just a bit extra weight and hot flashes and feeling cold at times.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sanj62:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse and I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

Thanks for posting your blood work. Hashimoto's does cause problems with converting T4 into T3, myslef included.  I am only on Liothyronine (Cytomel) since I had too high of a TSH which indicates Hypo.  You seem to be within normal levels on your blood work except your TSH which indicates Hyperthyroidism at 0.20 but Hashi's can make you look that way as it swings back and forth between Hyper  & Hypo.  That is one of the characteristics of it.  You could ask the doctor for a small dose of 5mcg Liothyronine and see if you feel. It may balance you more.

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism are:  feeling cold, weight gain, muscle aches, bruising, hair loss, irregular periods, low heart rate, Low temp, constipation, dry skin and brittle nails.  There are more these are common ones.

Hyper (Too Much) makes you have Heat intolerances, sweating & HOT, Thyroid eye problems, heart palpitations, high BP, nervousness, shaking, loose bowels, muscle aches.  There are more, these are comfortable.

Keep taking your meds and keep the minerals and vitamins in good shape. Any questions just ask.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly for your advice , I was Dx about 2 n half years ago now and have been trying to educate myself as its a life long disease. 

My TSH is suppressed as I have been on meds for a while but I dont have any hyper symptoms , my bowels are regular too which they haven't been for many years . 

I have read that many experience hot and cold and think it could be due to the medication , I'm not sure yet, but its not too bad at the moment , maybe because its winter , also  could be because I'm going through the  menopause.

Hope you are feeling good , 

take care 

Sanj

Generally I'm happy to say I dont have many symptoms at all now , but Iam worried about weight gain , I'm the heaviest I've been in many years which is about 5kg over normal weight . It doesnt seem much but to me it is smile 

• Posted

Hello Sanj62:

As to weight, do walking if able.  Work up to 1/2 hour of it.  I lost 32 pounds doing it.  Also limit sweets, do low carb, high protein. Menopause can put weight on us, so help the metabolism work more by taking your medication and some walking or any type of exercise you can do.

Keep Hydrated by drinking water and limit food after 8 p.m. if you can. If you need to make the dinner a light meal and make lunch more like a dinner so that the body can burn more calories as you are awake and moving.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, 

Thank you for the advice, I have started excersing again , I was always regular at one time smile I do eat biscuits when ever I drink tea which I know isn't good. Maybe I will drink more water and then can resist the biscuits . 

I try to eat more naturally products and no processed foods which I know aren't good for you. 

Trying also to add more fruits to my diet . 

Will keep you posted on how I get on smile 

Sanj

• Posted

Hello Sanj62:

Sounds like a plan!  Do eat good foods like Fish, salmon is good. Avoid fried foods and highly processed foods as in ready made.  Some have high sodium in them and fats.

As to biscuits, have just 1 a day, some diet ones have low calories under 100 and that could be an option.

Also avoid any alcohol, beer, and soda.  They have lot's of calories. Some good fruits are Apples, Strawberries. Avoid Banana's, grapes, and pears as sugar in them is higher.

Keep us posted. Have a Happy New Year.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello all!  This is the first time I have felt normal in 5 years!  I was on Levothyroxine for many years and it was totally fine for the longest time!  Then all of a sudden I was having terrible symptoms.  Not sure if they changed the formula or if my body is changing due to Menopause.  Maybe both!  Anyway, I recently switched to Nature Throid to see if that would make me feel better and it did!  A lot of my symptoms went away including the nerve damage in my feet!  Hallelujah!  No more pain or creepy crawlies or restless legs!  However, I did experience a drop in my T4 which I've learned is normal if you have been on only T4 drug for a long time. This wasn't getting better so I have since started supplementing my Nature Throid with 18.75 (1/4 pill) of Sinthroid and VWAA-LA!  I feel totally normal again!  I thought I was going to go crazy with all the crazy symptoms I was having.  When my T4 dropped I was having bad joint pain and muscle aches. Now I split my Nature Throid dose and take it first thing in the morning and at dinnertime.  I take the Sinthroid at lunchtime.  I feel like my body is getting what it needs now.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck to you all.  I know how frustrating it can be trying to figure this all out.  Oh, and by the way, I made my doctor give me the Nature Throid.  He didn't want to.  All the forums are true.  Doctors will fight you. Be strong.  Know your body and your symptoms.  Keep a log, it's helpful.   
    • Posted

Hello Shannon, thank you for this. I found the bit about T4 dropping after the switch to nature throid and supplementing with Synthroid (i.e. T4) very helpful and timely. I too have switched from T4 only medication (levothyroxine) to natural desiccated thyroid and am feeling much better, though in my case NatureThroid made me swell up, so I'm taking a bovine NDT. Supplementing with T4 (of which Synthroid is one brand) isn't an option for me as I am intolerant to corn (US call it maize) and maize starch is in all the synthetic thyroxines. However I have a allergy clinic appointment in 3 weeks when they are going to see if I can tolerate the pure synthetic thyroxine (without the other ingredients they put in the tablets - known as 'fillers'). So it's useful to know to watch out. for my T4 being low. Thank you again.
    • Posted

You're welcome.  I'm happy that I could help.  It's really hard sifting through all of these forums trying to find information that will help when you are suffering.  There are so many people suffering from this horrible problem with the Thyroid Gland.  Kind of makes you wonder if the manipulation of our food source is to blame.  Now they're using it for fillers in our medication!   Aaakkkkkk!  Will this madness ever end?  I think the term "The Thyroid Storm" is 100% accurate.  It seems like people are constantly changing medications to feel better.  I imagine I will have to adjust mine for the rest of my life.  But for now, my formula is working.  I can feel when my T4 gets to be a little high because my nerves start to tingle and my legs get restless.  If my T3 gets to high my heart races.  I listen to my body and adjust my medication according to my symptoms.  It would be nice if some caring person would create a thyroid medication that would work well for everyone.  Blessings to All!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.