Blood results

Posted , 3 users are following.

so ive had some blood tests done yday - one of them being a fasting blood test. ive had a call today from the surgery saying i need to make an appointment with the nurse (not the dr) as a marker has cone back on the diabetic test - what does this mean. will i have diabetes. im so scared i suffer with anxiety anyway and now i cant get an app to wed im going to drive myself mad. any advice would be great

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They do two tests - your current blood sugar, that's why you fast, and something called A1C, which is roughly your average blood sugar over the last 90 days. Diabetes is something where you can have a little or a lot! If it's just a little, they coach you on diet, and exercise, tell you to lose weight, and send you home. If it's a little more they also give you a pill. If it's even more, then something else. Usually it comes on gradually, so the odds are you have just the lowest level, you and millions of others! But you should still take it seriously, and they're not fooling about the exercise, just getting out and walking can make a huge difference! So get ready to put on your walking shoes.

• Posted

They do two tests - your current blood sugar, that's why you fast, and something called A1C, which is roughly your average blood sugar over the last 90 days. Diabetes is something where you can have a little or a lot! If it's just a little, they coach you on diet, and exercise, tell you to lose weight, and send you home. If it's a little more they also give you a pill. If it's even more, then something else. Usually it comes on gradually, so the odds are you have just the lowest level, you and millions of others! But you should still take it seriously, and they're not fooling about the exercise, just getting out and walking can make a huge difference! So get ready to put on your walking shoes.

• Posted

HELLO SUSANNE - TRY NOT TO GET TOO ANXIOUS OR UPSET IF YOU CAN. THE TEST HAS SHOWN THAT YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL IS ABOVE NORMAL. IT MAY BE YOU ARE PRE DIABETIC, MY LAST 2 BLOOD TESTS SHOWED THAT I WAS BORDER LINE, SADLY IT RUNS IN MY FAMILY, TRACED BACK TO MY GREAT, GREAT GRANDMOTHER. ANYWAY, AT THIS STAGE, DIET CHANGE MAY BE AN OPTION FOR YOU TOGETHER WITH EXERCISE DEPENDING ON THE TEST RESULT LEVEL. OUR GP USUALLY SENDS ME TO THE NURSE AFTER THE TEST RESULTS, IT IS COMMON PRACTICE NOW TO DO THAT. I AM STILL BORDER LINE HAVE CHANGED MY DIET FOR THAT REASON AND I WAS ALSO DIAGNOSED WITH ANOTHER INTERNAL CONDITION.

THE NURSE WILL GO THROUGH EVERYTHING WITH YOU WHEN YOU SEE HER, I KNOW WAITING IS REALLY HARD, BUT SADLY THAT IS WHAT WE HAVE TO DO. IF YOU HAVE SUGAR IN YOUR TEA OR COFFEE TRY TO CUT IT DOWN OR OUT IF POSSIBLE, EAT MORE SOLUBLE RATHER THAN INSOLUBLE FOODS. THE NURSE WILL ALSO GIVE YOU A BOOK ABOUT DIABETES AND FOODS ETC. PLUS THIS ALSO MEANS THAT YOUR PANCREAS IS SUPPLYING INSULIN IN YOUR BODY, AS I MENTIONED IT DEPENDS ON THE LEVEL YOUR TEST SHOWED. WHEN IT IS MID RANGE THEN A MEDICATION, THE NAME ESCAPES ME FOR THE MOMENT, WOULD BE PRESCRIBED ALONG WITH DIET. IF YOU GO TO THE DIABETES ASSOCIATION WEB SITE, THERE IS VERY USEFUL INFORMATION THERE WHICH MAY HELP.

I HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE, I KNOW HOW SCARY THIS IS. I APOLOGIZE FOR USING (ALL CAPS), BUT I HAVE CATARACTS AND IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ AND TYPE. GOOD LUCK ON WEDNESDAY.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.