Blood results and bad doctors

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I'm 22 and been on 50mg of Levo for 8 months. The first 3-4 months for me were horrific, feeling tired anxious and emotionally all over the place, within the last 8 weeks I have really improved and started to feel like 'me' again, however my blood results came back as 'within range' so my doctor suggested lowering me to 25mg. I firmly told him that I wasn't quite comfortable to do that yet as I've only just started to improve and I show no signs of overdosing, I'm still cold, dry skin, a long day at work and I'm passed out in bed by 8pm etc... 

Fortunately he agreed with me and said he will send me for another blood test and leave me on 50mg and we would review it next time I saw him.

When I went to pick up my prescription last week I had seen another doctor at my practice (who I have never been dealt with) had signed my prescription off but only offered me 25mg!! I tried asking the receptionist but as she kept telling me she was just the receptionist and didn't know! 

As I needed my meds I have been doubling up every morning so the pills come up to 50mg, however on the day of blood test I didn't eat or take my meds prior to the test. 

I then felt grotty the following day, could that be a result of this? Also how effective do you think it is not taking Levo before blood tests

I phones up to get my results yesterday and the receptionist said it's flagged up I need to come in (appointment next Thursday) I asked if she could give me my results. 

T4 = 13 (Range 9 - 22)

TSH = 11.8 (Range 0.35-5.5)

2 months ago

T4 = 23

TSH = 0.5

4 months ago 

T4 - 14.4

TSH - 1.15

8 months ago

T4 - 8.9

TSH - 8.63

I am still taking 50mg... So I'm glad I didn't listen to the doctor but what could have caused my TSH to rocket up? If anyone can give me any advice or options I will be very grateful. I'm slowly learning but still so new to this all 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi i'm new too

but am excited for you...it could be that you've kick started something and could come off or reduce thyroxin. There is a protocol in the alternative world to this effect.

8 mths ago you were in trouble... 4 mths ago your labs were perfect. But how was your clinical picture?

2mths ago you were still okish but could have gone hyper at times ...did yu notice?

your TSH is too high now ...but how do you feel?

• Posted

sorry ...you've said ...things still seem underactive to you.
    • Posted

not taking the levo that day would have meant your blood test was more reliable... so it showed your circulating levels that had been absorbed..rather than the distorting effect of an immediate dose.
  • Posted

I would also suggest pressing your GP for a test for TSH antibodies.  You need to find out whether you are simply hypothyroid or if you have antibodies which are attacking the TSH which your thyroid is producing correctly, in which case you would need to get referred to an endocrinologist.  GPs are terribly ill informed about this condition and often blindly rely on blood tests.
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie, your Thyroid Simulating hormone is very high and you are experiencing symtoms which suggest you are not getting enough thyroid hormones.Your doctor should prescribe enough levo for your TSH to be within range and your symptoms go. Unfortunately many doctors fail to do the latter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.