Blood rush or something more?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last Wednesday I had a severe ankle sprain bad enough that the swelling made my ankle joint easily the size of a softball. X-rays, a CAM boot, and a recommendation for a follow up appointment and they sent me on my merry way. Over the span of 6 days, the swelling barely went down, even if I followed the RICE to the T. Every time I stood up-non weight bearing- I would get this terrible blood rush kinda pain, especially after having my leg elevated.

Tuesday, doctors said I ruptured a ligament that usually only ruptures after a break in either the fibula or tibia. Since I had no break they couldn’t go in for surgery to fix, so he said I’ll just have ankle problems for a long long while. Put me in the boot for 6-8 weeks, 24/7 but for bathing.

But, the ‘blood rush’ feeling is persisting, if not getting worse.. am I doing something wrong? Should I go back?

Also, I will gladly accept any tips and pointers for surviving this dang boot, and how on earth to make it more comfortable for sleep..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sleeping with the boot on is rough, especially at first. I gradually adjusted and was able to sleep pretty well. I was also taking 2 "tylenol" at bedtime. I kept my boot foot elevated for the most part during the night.

Best wishes for recovery, Di

• Posted

Thank you! I've been trying my best to keep off the medication, but it looks like my best bet right now. I appreciate your help!

• Posted

Hi G,

I also had the blood rushing pain feeling during the first two - three weeks post fracture (single fracture to fibula with a torn syndesmosis, ORIF with plate and 7 screws to stablise). The cause is more blood trying to go into the area already super swollen when it's not elevated. I found that if I slowly lowered it - sometimes, I would have to lower it a tiny bit, raise it, lower it a little bit more, lower it, so on and so forth over a minute or two before I could get it down with out grinding pain. Once down and through that initial few minutes the pain did seem to pass.

Once the swelling started to properly subside, the pain stopped occuring.

For the swelling, if you don't have one, get a compression sock like a tubigrip style. These work amazingly. You need to get it cut to cover from your toes to your knee and double it up. Then Ice and Ice and more ice. and elevate as high and comfortable as possible. Because you are in the boot, you can put the ice in the boot, that is what I did while I was resting.

For sleeping... if you can get a triangle or corner pillow off a couch, then put the boot in the corner part. It will hold it in place like a little hammock. You can shove as many pillows under the supporting pillow as you need for height. Just make sure your also supporting the rest of the leg otherwise you will strain your knee.

Ligament tears take up to 12 weeks to heal, breaks only take 6 weeks. While I broke my right fibula, I tore the ligaments in my left ankle, and because I had to weight bare on it, I couldn't use a camboot. They put me in a weird complicated strap that had 5 bits you had to clip in to get it secured. I wore all the time except to sleep, it held my ankle in place and I stopped wearing it around week 10, then strapped with tape for two weeks, and then the pain eased up. Have been tape/strap free on that ankle for 3 weeks now and it has been good.

In contrast I was non-weight bearing on broken ankle for 6 weeks, and then walking in boot for 1 and then weaned out of it over the next two and since then have not had any boot or taping - ie the last 6 weeks and it is okay pain and stability wise. Just working on strength and flexion now.

• Posted

Thank you! I’ll keep it in mind, I appreciate your help. I do just want a random opinion of yours though, if you don’t mind-

My doctor knows beat, I understand, but- this still kinda baffles me..

He did take xrays, and he did tell me I show symptoms of the ligament rupture to the T, but he also told me I should be alright to weight bear. I still feel excruciating pain when I put even half of my weight on it (in the boot). Maybe I’m just paranoid but.. when I rolled it, I heard a couple loud pops. One as I landed, and the second when I tried to stand on it. Doc didn’t think MRI was necessary, but if I’m supposed to be weight bearing, shouldn’t I be a bit better off, or am I thinking too hard? Sorry to bombard you with these questions, I just don’t have anyone who can give me advice on this!

• Posted

from what i understand if you have completely ruptured the ligaments then i think the treatment is meant to be non weight bearing for a period of time. the popping is in line with ligament damage.

Is it possible for you to see a physio?

They are going to be able to give you the best guidance about how to move forward and if they think you need more tests done. some physios can even do an ultrasound (my current one cant but my old one could) to check for tears.

if it is just ligament damage you want to get physio on it pretty quick anyway because this will help with swelling and help with keeping the joint moving and not getting jammed up from being in the boot.

i started physio on my torn ligament ankle at week 3 and then week 6 for the broken one.

It is also possible that they missed a fracture on the initial xray due to swelling or positioning of the foot. just a thought

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.