Blood Staines sputum.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Husband started on Azythromycin, 500mg. Third tablet due tomorow. Yesterday blood stained sputum x2 and once this morning. Wondered if there could possibly be a link to the Az. Although I don't think this is a side effect of this Ab. Maybe something or nothing. Any ideas or advice please. ? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

If I were you i would contact the dr asap, it could just be the force of the coughs have burst a small vein, but you need advice from the professionals x
  • Posted

He needs to see a doctor URGENTLY, blood stained sputum can be a symptom of something serious.   Obviously he already has a lung infection which may not be responding quickly enough to the medication.  Don't muck around with this, please!
    • Posted

Thanks Jude, district nurse just been to take his bloods, mentioned it to her in case she could shed any light on it but she couldn't. I am trying to contact the Community Matron but no luck as yet. His GP who is excellent is not in surgery till Monday. His pseudonoma bacteria dosent seem to be giving any extra probs at the moment, he came out of hospital again 2 weeks ago and this is probably the best I have seen him this year. On previous experience any new infections he picks up do make him quite ill. Hoping it's a bit of straining from coughing up sputum but you are right to say it needs checking ASAP. Many thanks Jude, hope you're well. X
  • Posted

Hi ,I agree with Christine,,,,,it could be that it's just a small  bood vessel burst ,( that's happened to me ) when coughing a lot ,,,,but it could be something else ,,so ring the GP ,
    • Posted

Hi Nanny, did it resolve it's self or did you need treatment. X
    • Posted

Hi mine was just because I had coughed so hard ,and I was fine ,

mine was blood specs  in the sputum ,,,,,but please don't take mine or any one else's word on here ,,,seek medical  advise immediately ,if possible take a sputum sample with you for testing ,if it was happening to again ,,,I wouldn't  hesitate to seek medical advise ,

you could also ring the British lung foundation for advise ,if you can't get in to see a GP ask to see the pulmary care nurse ,

good luck ,please keep us up to date,take care ,

• Posted

Thanks Nanny and yes I will keep you informed. Wishing you well. Xxx
    • Posted

Just spoke with Community Matron, said to contact GP. As I said our GP is not in surgery till Monday. Will prob want sputum sample, not much point in taking one to surgery today as it's week end and nothing will happen. Will contact him first thing on Monday. Xx
    • Posted

Just rang surgery. Usual GP not there but a Duty GP will ring me today concerning blood stained sputum. X
    • Posted

A telephone appointment is better than nothing ,our surgary has two sample collections ,if yours is the same results could be back Monday/ Tuesday ,better than waiting till Monday to send sample in ,thinking of you ,
    • Posted

Thanks Nanny lets hope it's nothing sinister and a simple explanation. He's done so well since returning from hoist all this time, best I've seen him in a long time. One month ago consultant called me in to say no further treatment will be offered and pallative care put into place ! I have the anticipatory drugs in the house, so thank god for the turn around in him with his latest admission. It's a miracle as far as we are concerned, it's been such a hellish time. Xxx
    • Posted

Sounds like it's been a rough journey for your hubby and you ,,,,I wish you both good news today ,God Bless 
    • Posted

Duty doctor just rang, although she's not as familiar with hubby as his GP, who is just excellent. His Levofloxacin 500mg was reduced on Monday from twice daily to once daily. She suggested to go back to twice daily from today which we will do. She dosent want him to stop Azythromycin as wants to wait and see how this regime works out. Didn't ask for sputum sample ? And she will speak with his GP on Monday. So will go with that advice for now. Such a roller coaster ride this is as I'm sure you know my freind. Take care and thanks.
    • Posted

Do you  mean     Erythromycin ,,,,,,I only ask as I am INTOLERANT  to it ,,,not allergic ,,,just intolerant ,,( It makes me very sick projectile sick ) 

But at least you have spoken to someone in the medical profession ,,,,I wish you both well ,

• Posted

Oh ,well I can't comment on that one as I've never been prescribed it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.