Blood sugar

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am Type 2 Diabetic and am on Metformin.

I check my blood sugar about once a week.

On Saturday evening In suddenly felt very thirsty and tired and wondered if this was a problem with my blood sugar. So I took my blood sugar and it was 24.9. It has never been that high before.

I talked to a doctor on Out of Hours Service and he said if it had not gone down to 20 in the next hour I was to get myself to a doctor. By now it had started snowing quite hard and I did not have any transport! Fortunately my blood sugar did come down.

My problem is that I am slightly underweight so am trying to put weight on but if I eat things that put weight on then my blood sugar rises.

ANy bright ideas?

Sarah?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah. 

What kind of dietary system are you following now?  How many carbs do you have in a typical meal?

If you want to gain weight, one presumes you can safely eat a little extra protein and/or fat, and gain weight that way without affecting your blood sugar too much.

What had you eaten most recently, just before your blood sugar went so high?

• Posted

No idea how many carbs I am eating. How do I check this? What should my carbs be for each meal?

I think I used to know this but have completely forgotten must look it up again on the internet and stick to it.

Yes I probably had cheated before my blood sugar went so high.

I had a buffet lunch at a local pub.

2 egg sandwiches 2 small sausages a sausage roll an iced bun a cup of tea and a small glass of red wine.

But I did not think it was anything out of the ordinary really except the wine.

• Posted

>2 egg sandwiches 2 small sausages a sausage roll an iced bun

>a cup of tea and a small glass of red wine.

That actually sounds quite reasonable in carb terms.

Skip the iced bun and you likely skip the problem.

But you *should* learn to count your carbs.  You can still have an iced bun - if it's small, and you keep the rest of the meal low-carb.  Probably already a bit too much bread with the sandwiches here to allow the bun.

I guess measuring your blood glucose is a good first step, but then counting carbs - and limiting them - is certainly the next step.  Do this now, and you can avoid the next-er steps of a diabetes diagnosis, medication, ... and so on.

• Posted

Thank you so much.

Counting my carbs starts right now.

A postponed New Years Resolution!!!

Sarah

• Posted

Metformin is an appetite suppressant that was originally prescribed to overweight people. I was on it for several years but wasn't overweight, had always been too thin really.  Metformin can cause B12 deficiency so I had to have some B12 injections but decided to stop taking them (I am also on insulin) and the day after taking them I actually had hunger pains, something I hadn't had for years. My appetite got better and I WANTED to eat something rather than having to eat something. My sugar levels didn't alter much so I am glad that I stopped taking them.  My twin sister also has diabetes that is controlled with metformin and another tablet and she is thinner than I was. She stopped the tablets for a while and her appetite got better and she put on half a stone but her sugar levels went up so she started taking them again but her weight has dropped quite low and her doctor has told her to stop taking them and she will be prescribed some tablets that don't affect her appetite.   Why don't you ask your doctor for some different diabetic medication.

• Posted

Thank you Spindles! My mother had list so much weight she was put on hospice because we thought she might not make it. Her appetite improved as I eliminated the meds one by one. I didn’t realize metformin was a known appetite suppressant- apparently neither did her doctors!

Another mystery solved!

• Posted

It doesn't surprise me that doctors don't know about the tablets they dish out. Just Google metformin appetite suppressant and you'll see lots of references to it. Doctors are very good at giving out medication and not bothering to research the side effects of taking it.  I have recently found out that the osteoporosis medication I have been taking for ten years causes fractures called atypical femur fractures which is probably the reason I broke my left femur so easily and had a nail inserted and now it seems that I might have to have one in my other leg to repair the tiny fracture caused by the medication.  I hope your mother starts to put on weight very soon.

• Posted

I had not realized metformin was known as an appetite suppressant.  Maybe I've experienced a little of that, but it's not like I have any trouble eating meals, LOL.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.