Blood sugar levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am confused.

Type 2 diabetic diagnosed 2 years ago. On metformin not insulin.

One of my neighbours is also diabetic type 2.

She says he blood sugar is usually around 13.

Mine is slightly high. If I take it first ting in the morning before having anything to eat or drink it is usually between 8 and 9. I think that is a little high.

Trying to get myself back on track with it.

I do not smoke but do drink alcohol. About 3 or 4 glasses of wine every week and occasionally a small glass of sherry, that is all.

For the last 6 months my main problem has been that I have been underweight so have been trying to put on some weight which i am now doing. But putting on the weight has increased my blood sugar levels. Swings and roundabouts really a very difficult thing to balance. Now that I have gained the weight I will try and be a bit more careful what I eat and hope I can maintain the weight whilst reducing blood sugar levels a bit. Most people who are diabetic are overweight. Trust me to be different!!!

Thanks for listening to my story.

Sarah

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No pasta no rice no bread no potatoes and no refined sugar. This is the diet I am following and I have lost 2 stone in around six months. I am aiming to reverse my type 2
  • Posted

Hi Sarah!

Your neighbor's figure of 13 is the limit of where you need to run to the hospital immediately!

Your 8 or 9 is a bit high, you'd like to do better, but it won't kill you quick.

Somewhere down around 6.1 you can call that good enough, but "normal" people are down in the 5's and lower.

If you want to put on weight while limiting carbs you do have the freedom of eating more protein and fat.  Of course you never want to go crazy even then, and type1 diabetics even count proteins and fats towards their carb/insulin levels, like half the proteins and a quarter of the fats, or something like that.

Now that your weight is good (!) I hope you're following good diabetic dietary guidelines, counting your carbs and all?  And still getting your daily exercise.  That's the way to both improve numbers and manage swings.  Hope that helps.

• Posted

You are thinking of A!C numbers.  Sarah is using the World Heath Organization standards.  

"Hyperglycemia, the term for expressing high blood sugar, has been defined by the World Health Organisation as:

Blood glucose levels greater than 7.0 mmol/L (126 mg/dl) when fasting

Blood glucose levels greater than 11.0 mmol/L (200 mg/dl) 2 hours after meals"

But even with this scale, the neighbor is rather high for fasting glucose. Equivalent to about 240 on USA scale. 

I wish every country would use USA scale as it relies less on decimals which just confuses everyone.

Sarah is around 160 morning glucose, which is also high.

• Posted

Hi Sarah:

I have been dealing with diabetes since 2015 although I probably had it much earlier.  I was dealing with constant stomach burning and treating it by eating every hour or so.  I did that for years.  That means my glucose levels and worse, insulin levels were probably always too high.  So, I may have unknowingly caused my own diabetes.

I am doing some research on resetting the bodies glucose normal level by separating meals by 3 or 4 hours.  What this does is to allow the body to assimilate the meal and then for glucose levels to return to a lower level between meals.  So far, it is working well for me.  I am type 2 but I don't want to go type 1 by ignoring my condition.

If you want to try this then:

Eat breakfast and then only drink water for 3 to 4 hours

Eat Lunch and then only water until dinner

Eat dinner and then only water for 3 to 4 hours.

You can then have a salad before bed.

This allows the pancreas to do its job and then rest between meals.  It could also reduce glucose intolerance which gets worse over time.  It also allows the body to clear out free insulin from the bloodstream between meals.

Let me know what you think. John

• Posted

I think maintaining a perfect diet plan and performing a regular exercise could be a key factor to manage your type II diabetic condition. 
  • Posted

Practicing yoga and meditation could be helpful along with healthy foods and some lifestyle management.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.