Blood/sugar levels dropping during peri

Posted , 3 users are following.

The days leading up to the start of my period always makes me feel crazy. This month I had sensitivity in my left hip /groin area. Then my thighs were aching. Then today I was out with my little one at the doctors and had to run other errands and I didn't eat anything before I went out and I felt so weak. First of all, I was bundled up because it's cold out then when I went into the store they had the heat on so I felt over dressed.  I went to bend down to fix my daughter's shoe and when I stood upright again I got so hot. Sometimes when I get overheated like that it can bring on an anxiety attack. I felt like I was going to pas out. I ran into a sandwich shop to eat quick as I could. That seem to calm everything down. This is something that has happened to me before right before a period or like at the beginning that if I haven't eaten and get overheated, I get weak and feel faint. I think I read somewhere that our fluctuating hormones can mimic diabetic and or anemia symptoms. Your blood/sugar level can drop.

I have a physical coming up in January and I am going to have them test my glucose level and my hemaglobin. They have checked a couple of times before and it has been normal. This only seems to happen to me during my cycle and it's random not every month. So scary and crazy. Oh the joys of being a woman, indeed!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I replied to a post with this same incident so some of you may be reading this twice.
  • Posted

Yes dear I have that same annoying damn pain in the groin each month always the left side just before my period so I know its coming.  Hopefully only Santa is coming this month.  haha. I carry snacks in my purse when i get the munchies.  A breakfast bar, bag of nuts for protein and energy.  Gum is good if my mouth gets dry.  Water bottle too.  We gotta stock up like the athletes do. hehe. Merry Christmas to all! 🎄🎅🎁🎄
    • Posted

You're funny, "only Santa coming." But you're right. I need to and should carry snacks with me at all times. I never know when I could start to feel that way again. Like I said it's random. All of these symptoms are random. That's just it, we never know how we're going to feel and when. That's what makes this time so uncertain and confusing and scary.
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel.  It's scary but it's just our bodies changing.  I have come to the point of not worrying about it.   Let it be and put your mind on something else ...like Santa!  hah. We never know when these hunger pains arise so I keep munchies handy.  It's good to keep your mind off bad things.  The kids will keep you occupied so that's good dear.  Merry Christmas with your family! xo
    • Posted

Thank you so much and a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year as well!
    • Posted

I get the groin pains, too, some months, and was thinking that I was still ovuating irregularly because all my life I have felt "middleschmertz", the ovulation pain. However, this month, I felt it on both sides a few hours apart! What is going on here? My bleeding patterns would suggest that I am anovulatory.

So I started researching.  I was reading there are three different times you can feel ovulation pain- before, during, and after ov, so it's difficult to identify which pain a woman might feel. It seems that if you feel it before, you could have pain on both sides as the follicles mature on both sides, but then only one will normally erupt and release an egg.

Anyboy else in peri feeling like they're still get ovulation pains some months? And if you've had tests, do they support that? Or is something else going on?

• Posted

I'm glad you mention the blood sugar levels because before peri sent in i had no problem.  I've never been a good eater and would very often forget to eat till afternoon but since my peri started in 2012 i started to feel dizzy and out of it on a daily basis, i was sent for a glucose tolerance test which concluded i have i'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) my blood sugar went down to 2.2 after 4hrs and now i have to eat little and often. BUT i do wonder if its just another symptom of

peri and i will be ok once i'v got through it as i read a lot about women having low blood sugar at this time.  I know how you feel about getting over heated too, I am always cold and wrap up well when going out but then you go in a shop thats warm and i feel like i'm in a heaetd blanket and it makes me feel weak and faint.

I always have a little nut bar in my bag and eat something every 3hrs and find im doing better. Let us know how you get on with your tests. sending you a comforting hug x

• Posted

I will let you all know the results although I am confident that it is just my peri symptoms playing up because I go without eating sometimes until about noon when I am not on or near my cycle and it does not produce that reaction.

But I do need to carry snacks with me on a more consistent basis especially when going to someplace like the doctor's office. You never know how long you'll be there sometimes.

• Posted

Greetings!  I know I skip breakfast too.  I am fasting cuz I am not happy with the thickness around the middle.cheesygrin waaaaaaa. I drink an energy Ensure drink that has lots of vitamins and nutrients which gives me a boost.  I need it cuz food is not my friend anymore! 😂. xxoo
  • Posted

I am diabetic, and peri has really made it difficult to manage with my hormones all over the place! Some days the insulin seems to get into my cells better, am less insulin resistant, so I ended up with blood sugar lows that leave me shaky and barely able to talk! Consequently, I have started taking more frequent, smaller doses of injected insulin to stop this from happening.
    • Posted

Oh my! You poor dear! The horrid and tortuous things we have to endure during this time. I hope things balance out for you soon.
    • Posted

I AM diabetic too. If I don't eat i tend to become shaky and feel like I'm going to pass out too so I know how you feel there. Carry food with you at all times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.