blood sugar meters

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wonder if all blood sugar meters give spurious readings?

i got 8.3 mmu and imediately after got 6.8.

another time 1.1 instantly afterword 6.2

and sometime before 9 then 8. 

all different days but each second test was instantly different.

i wrote to abbott about their freestyle precision neo but the did not reply

thanks all

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have not found blood sugar testers to be particularly accurate when repeating the test. Sometimes they repeat close to the same, sometimes they don't. Best to use it as a gage.

• Posted

I often used to find my BG monitor inconsistent if I did one test straight after another but not by a lot so now I do not do tests  close together except when the first one is a lot higher than expected. For example yesterday's first test in the evening was 12.1 which was far too high so I swabbed my finger took it again and it was 6.2 which is what I was expecting. I can only assume there was some sugar on my finger the first time  from preparing our evening meal!

• Posted

Hi Anon.

As someone who worked in the Diagnostic Medical Devices Industry for 40 years, I can tell you that when measuring your BG levels there are many variables. Such as, temperature, location of finger prick, creams lotions or soap on your skin, and many more. The best way to validate your BG monitor is to use a standard control. BG controls usually come with both a high and low control. These are usually supplied by your BG monitor manufacturing company free of charge. Using a control will eliminate all the variables and give a consistent result. Your BG monitor is designed to guide you with regard to your sugar levels. Precise tests must be done under controlled conditions by a clinical laboratory. I hope this response is helpful. Jibber

• Posted

If you have not washed your hands before testing this can and does occur.  There is also a problem if the battery is getting low.  I tested 1.7 when I was feeling fine.  Luckily, I had another meter, I checked and was at 6.8.  This could has caused a serious problem if I was not prepared to check it out.   These were precision meters.
  • Posted

Thanks very much everyone
  • Posted

Hi, those blood sugar counts are a little all over the place eh! 

The 1 that concerns me was the 1.1!  How were you feeling,  you should've had terrible signs from extremely low blood sugar! 

If you didn't have a bad low sugar reaction then I would think that you have a defective system.   The  other  fluctuations do happen, sometimes I'm so surprised about the changes that can happen! 

Need to take your unit to the Dr  and you both test on 2 different machines!  Good luck, Susan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.