Blood test and thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I just wondered whether anyone would have any advice regarding my thyroid levels based on a few blood tests I have had.

I had a blood test a couple of months ago to test my hormones because of my irregular periods that I have had for quite a few years now. It came back normal, with the exception of my TSH level which flagged up at just above 9. My FT4 (I think it was) was 13.  I was told I needed to speak to a doctor, who told me that I have hypothyroidism and talked about starting me on medication. 

I am always reluctant to take medication unless absolutely necessary and did not want to do so based on just one blood test, so in the end we agreed to retest in 6 weeks. I did this and called for my results, to be told they are normal. My TSH is now 2.7 and my FT4 14.  The receptionist gave me this information and now I am just left quite baffled about the whole thing. Had I have just agreed with the doctor after the first blood test, I would now be taking medication, but now I am being told it is normal and no further action is required.

I should mention that a couple of years ago a had a blood test that came back with my TSH slightly raised - I think it was 5-6 and the doctor asked me whether there is any family history of thyroid problems (there is) and we retested a couple of months later where it came back as normal, but he said that because of the family history and that abnormal result it should be regularly tested as it could become a problem.

I am just wondering what people’s advice would be about this as I have read quite a lot of mixed ideas about thyroid levels, it seems to be quite a great area and I am wondering why my TSH would have gone from 9 to 2.7 in 6 weeks?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sheraleigh, I woukd certainly take thyroid disease seriously, as in the early stages, its easier to reverse thyroid disease.

Depending on your local, you may find lab results more or less reliable. We’ve had some scandals and lawsuits in my area due to fraudulent labs.

Next, there are no perfect diagnostic blood  ranges. As you can have advanced thyroid disease with a TSH only at 2. 

As thyroid disease progresses, blood levels may vary greatly, and can even toggle between hyper and hypo- thyroidism, as the thyroid sputters and tries to maintain. Thyroid disease shows in blood tests only at certain points in the progression of the disease. This may be what’s happening for you. 

So you’re right. Bloodwork is like, ‘we have these super broad ranges for thyroid numbers. But being in range doesn't rule out disease, and being out of range doesn’t mean you need to be treated ...  So lets  just wait and let your thyroid disease progress until its a huge problem and you’re so desperate that you’re willing to the ridiculous meds and dosing that doesn’t work anyway... until...’ you’re a disaster.

So yeah, what you’re talking about is typical for thyroid disease.

Conclusive diagnosis can be done by ultrasound with positive results for thyroid cysts.

Many vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well as protein deficiencies can result in hypothyroid symptoms, and diabetes symptoms are very similar to hypothyroid symptoms... adrenal/ stress and gut problems can be linked to hypothyroid disease.

Causes of hypothyroid disease range from deficiencies to chemical toxicity, radiation exposure and exposure to specific chemicals including bromine and mercury. 

Prevention and curbing or reversing thyroid disease recommendations are gluten-free/paleo style diet, vitamin and mineral supplements, supplements of essential amino acids, and especially phenylalanine.

• Posted

have you had your antibodies checked? 

if they are high this would explain your different results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.