Blood test from endocronologist has me really nervous help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in September by my  family physician he put me on PTU 50mg 3xs a day in early November. I went and saw endocronologist on Christmas eve says my white blood cells are low i was wondering could this be a result of the meds. He took me off PTU and placed me on methimazole 10mg twice a day,   please help because it seems the  more questions i ask my endocronolgist the more upset he becomes him and my family dr

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Donald, Yes I have heard from other patients on the Boards that a lot of them suffered from itching at the start of their therapy especially if they were on higher doses of Methimazole.  I was on a fairly low dose of 10 mg daily but I still had Pressure Urticaria (another name for hives when I was carrying bags on my wrists or tight belts).  Also had an outbreak on my forehead of a type of hive but it went away.  I used prescription cortisone scalp lotion for that (rubbed it on my skin with a cotton pad).  If you add the Acetyl-L-Carnitine, you will be able to lower your methimazole dose fairly rapidly.
    • Posted

I  didn't have any problems on the PTU i was thinking about going back to that,  would that be a problem
    • Posted

Donald you said you had a problem with a low blood count on PTU.
    • Posted

You know they never said that was the reason, could that be the cause in your opinion
    • Posted

Yes both Carbimazole and PTU are known for causing that and elevated liver enzymes at the higher doses.  Usually low doses do not cause any problems but my Endocrinologist always does a complete blood count as well as liver function tests when he checks my thyroid labs.
    • Posted

Since you replied to my post in  early December I've been taking amino acids, l-cartinine, now taking selenium as you said, my strength is back up to maybe 90% I've gained 5lbs of muscle with the exception of the itching I'm starting to feel and look like my old self so thank you so much
    • Posted

Wow i placed noxema  on my face i  feel 100% better no itching no burning thank God
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are moving in the right direction and feeling better.  You also need to add Vitamin D, 1000 mg as hyperthyroid patients are mostly all deficient in this.
    • Posted

feeling better physically taking meds, aminos, l cartinine, selinium, vitamin D, workingout, but I'm now struggling with depression could this be from hyperthyroid?
    • Posted

I would get your labs tested to make sure you have not gone hypo.  Also have you been checked for both Graves and Hashimoto antibodies?  If your thyroid lab results are all within range and your antibodies only indicate Graves, then I would stop the supplements and add them back in one at a time and note how you feel with each one.  Meds and supplements do not work the same on every person and it is possible that one of them can affect your mood.  I have had this happen to me before with supplements.

• Posted

Hi again Donald, I was itchy before I started medication and this was what alerted me to having Graves Disease.  The carbimazole made me even itchier.  My doctor prescribed a strong antihistimine which helps.  Its seems you sort out one symptom and another one comes along!
    • Posted

Yes tell me about it but everything that I'm learning here has been so very helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.