Blood Test GFR low

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently I went to the doctors as i had been feeling very fatigued. She did a blood test and the results showed that my kidneys did not appear to be working properly. She said that my kidney filtration rate should be about 80, but mine is 59. My doctor is questioning whether I have chronic kidney disease.

If I should be diagnosed with kidney disease, how long is it that I would have had the disease for? Is kidney disease something that progresses slowly over a number of years or can it be quite rapid?

If this is what I have, I'm struggling to work out what would have caused it. My blood pressure is up slightly (I've had my blood pressure checked quite a few times over the last few years and I've always been told it's normal). I'm not diabetic and I'm not aware there is any kidney issues in my family. Other levels in my blood tests were normal. Is there anything else that could cause GFR to below? Dehydration?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

GFR shud be less than 60 for more than 3 months in order to have CKD confirmation. GFR is inversely proportional to your blood createnine levels. try getting in touch with your nephrologist if you dont see any improvements in your GFR over next couple of weeks and try to reduce animal protein from your diet to reduce the createnine levels

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. The last blood test I had was about 6 years ago and the results were all normal....nothing has been picked up about low GFR before now. If it is kidney disease does it suggest that it has only started in the last few years? Is that even possible? Besides high blood pressure and diabeties, I don't know what else causes it.

• Posted

It's a very individual disease, rarely are two cases exactly the same, and yes it can come on quick = Acute, or Slow = or Chronic, or in between = Sub acute.

Dehydration wouldn't have an immediate effect on eGFR but dehydration sure ain't good for kidney health.

Also they rarely confirm a chronic Kidney diagnosis until they do a series of tests over a period of time. (normally 3 months)

what's your Creatinine level

• Posted

It's a very individual disease, rarely are two cases exactly the same, and yes it can come on quick = Acute, or Slow = or Chronic, or in between = Sub acute.

Dehydration wouldn't have an immediate effect on eGFR but dehydration sure ain't good for kidney health.

Also they rarely confirm a chronic Kidney diagnosis until they do a series of tests over a period of time. (normally 3 months)

what's your Creatinine level

• Posted

the "e"in "eGFR" means estimated.., meaning the "eGFR" test, is not an accurate indicator of kidney function. i know of many people whom had low eGFR picked up in routine blood tests, but when they were retested 3 months later, their function was normal. (renal function can fluctulate a lot)

...and yes, if your original blood test 6 years ago,was accurate, then of course you could have developed renal disease within that time (i'm not saying you have, just answering your question)

many things can cause renal disease..., urinary reflux, mixed analgesic (certain medications) etc, etc, etc,

in regards to your fatigue, it is most likely due to a reduction in red cell production (kidneys play an important role in red cell production) but this can be treated with iron injections....,

renal disease is very particular to the person, (meaning some people can have significant renal disease and show no symptoms, while others can have lesser renal disease and be very ill, my mother only has 5% filtration, and she is not sick and is not on dialysis and shes 78 years old...

the kidneys preform many functions such as..., removing excess fluid, removing creatinine and other toxins, regulate sodium and potassium levels, play a role in red blood cell and calcium production, etc etc etc........., the eGFR test focuses on how much Creatinine is removed form the blood, and in my opinion they need to develope a new test that can monitor and equate the true extent of a person's renal disease.

an example................... two people have an eGFR of 10% one is feeling very ill the other shows no symptoms, why..., because the eGFR does not test for every renal malfunction, such as fluid retention, so one person may be on reduced fluid intake, and feeling ill and uncomfortable because they can't remove excess fluid while the other person has no problem removing excess fluid, so they don't feel uncomfortable, yet they both have the same kidney function rating (until they can develop a more inclusive test that measures everything in relation to the renal disease , then we'll continue to see so called very sick people with no symptoms and somewhat vise-versa)

another example..... most people go on dialysis when Creatinine levels reach 800 - 1,000 umol/L but some people are very ill when their creatine reached 400 umol/L yet others can tolerate Creatinie levels of 2,000 without being sick ..., why ?

because we are all individual to our own disease is one reason, the other reason is if creatinine builds up slowly chronically over a long period of time some people can adjust to it with out getting sick (like my mother) but a high in crease in creatinine over a short period can make a person very ill.

here's something else to remember The KIdney Foundation is always saying things like "there are thousands of people walking around with undiagnosed renal failure" but i really dispute that because the eGFR (in my opinion) over exaggerates renal disease the tests tend to say the function is worse then it is...., lots of people are admitted to hospital every year with zero renal function (and don't die) consider this, if a person has Zero respiration, he dies in 3 minutes, if a person has Zero cardiac activity he dies in 3 minutes but if a person has zero renal function..., they so often don't die.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It was really useful what you have said.

I haven't yet had my creatinine levels back yet -I'm still waiting to hear back from my doctor about them. However, the ultrasound of my kidneys suggested they looked normal.

It's interesting that you have friends who have had fluctuations in eGFR between blood tests. Do you know what would cause that?

Would there be any particular symptoms you could experience with higher than normal creatinine levels in the blood?

• Posted

Hi there Becky

I too have been told I have CKD from my e GFR results going suddenly down from 77 to around 55, then 48 over the space of about 6 months. In my case, I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica (it was still 77 then), but I believe that I had other issues that were related, either GCA or some type of vasculitis, since the latter can be a cause of glomulero nephritis, as well as what you told about diabetes or high blood pressure. I suppose my main point would be that here are many causes of CKD, not just those two. Now that I am taking prednisone,my eGFR has remained stable, and just lately stated to rise again. so my other point is that all is not gloomy - your doctor may find a cause that has an easy treatment. The other thing to consider is having another blood test, making sure that you do not eat meat, salmon or other high protein foods several hours before the test, as this can affect the results, and give you a false high creatinine, therefore a false low eGFR. Don't assume you have CKD from one test!

• Posted

fluctuations can occur if you have been ill, or have a viral, or bacterial infection.

all people are individual but three of the most common symptoms of high creatinie levels are usually Tiredness, Itchy skin, feeling sick, some people have more symptoms and some people have no symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.