Blood test indicates cholesterol levels just above range

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Please can someone provide any info? my recent blood test indicated that my cholesterol levels are just within range. Doctor said they are not of concern but I wanted to ask if anyone reccomends I take Benecol or something just incase? 

Many thanks smile

Katie

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I forgot to add - I have attached the blood results (they are just under my name in the post, just click on the little picture) 

many thanks! smile

• Posted

Recent reports say that Benecol is expensive but of little help. and butter seems to be 'in' again. Porridge is better
  • Posted

I got mine down from 5.6 to 4.8 by eating two apples a day.  I read a report of some research done in Australia which was quite impressive and have subsequently seen it advised in newspaper articles. It seems to have worked for me. 

• Posted

Any variety of apple better than others I wonder?

When we had a garden I had 26 apple trees and used to eat several a day all year round. I wonder how low my cholesterol was then.

• Posted

I don't think the variery matters, Derek, although we usually eat Gala.  Btw my husband's cholesterol level also dropped so I don't think it's just coincidence.

• Posted

I got mine down from 5.6 to 4.8 by eating two apples a day.  I read a report of some research done in Australia which was quite impressive and have subsequently seen it advised in newspaper articles. It seems to have worked for me. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila, thank you for your message. Wow! I may have to try that.. (even though i hate apples rolleyes.. its worth a shot!)
    • Posted

The original research was apparently carried out using dried fruit so maybe you should try dried apples although they will be higher in calories.  Presumably stewed apple would have the same efffect although you may not like that either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.