Blood test result, not what it should be!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this? I was called in to see my Dr yesterday, she phoned me and asked me to attend. The previous week I had some blood and urine tests done, I was told they were clear, however, she told me yesterday that one had higher levels of paraproteins in it than it should, and she wanted to do further tests. She explained that it could indicate  myeloma but normally that would be showing anaemia and kidney problems, neither are present with me. But I have chronic back pain. She sent me for an X ray, I had that yesterday, and further tests with hematology in the hospital. 

I am not getting stressed about this as, if this is what it is, then it's early days, which can only be good. All my symptoms indicate Fibro, but obviously I am pleased the Dr realises I am not just a hypochondriac, I just pray that this paraprotein is a blip of some sort and nothing more! 

Sorry to write such a long blog, but I haven't told my children or they will start to worry even more about me, and my husband is very poorly. So I don't want to worry him either, but I did need to share it! Thanks! 

Hope everyone has a reasonable night, gentle hugs x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I too have had blood test today to rule things out, but Dr agrees I probably have Fibromyalgia by symptoms I have. This could be a long road, as they seem very flippant about it! And I want a proper diagnosis,. Hope you ok....x
    • Posted

Hi Malonator. I am trying my best to be positive but as you say it looks like a long road ahead. It is good that the Dr is being thorough, but a bit scary too! Like you, I want a proper diagnosis too. Hope all is good for you, let me know how you get on! X
  • Posted

Hi, it is good that your doctor is being so thorough as the cause of the para proteins can be found early and treatment commenced. I did a quick google search, it sounds very complicated but there are other causes of paraproteins besides myeloma, one of which is an inflammatory process and another, connective tissue disease. It depends which Ig is present so that may be why you need further blood tests. Let us know how you get on, we are here to support you.

Caroline

• Posted

Hi Caroline. I am pleased my Dr is being thorough too, and as you say it seems like it has caught early, if that's what it is. I suspect the reason to see hematology is to pin point which Ig is present, I suspect it will be a bone marrow test. It really helps to know you are there so thank you for taking the time to answer me. I will keep you posted. 
    • Posted

Hi, I think you are right not to worry your children and husband at this stage, as hopefully you won't need to worry them at all. You seem to be doing a good job, not stressing about it, but as Caroline says, we are here to support you, whatever your diagnosis turns out to be. Keep us posted and try to have a good Easter. xx
    • Posted

Thank you Jeanne, it's really so good to have this community to share with and discuss, it so helps 😊 Have a Happy Easter ️xxx️xxx
  • Posted

Hiya PiliPala, I agree with you too about not telling your children, it's just doesn't  make sense to worry them,  when you don't know either.. poor you precious, with hubby being crook too..we are here for you always, remember that..gee Caroline has looked it up quickly...good info.. ....a good report I am praying for PiliPala, and your right, you have a really good doctor, she is great contacting you soo quickly like that to return..a good doctor..and your probably like me..all the worrying changes nothing at all..except stressing us andthose  around us, who we really love and care for for (a great attitude).take courage= be encouraged...you are sooo loved, a great mum and wife and someone's very special daughter..have a lovely Eastertime...be blessed from across the miles..:-) xxx
    • Posted

Thank you so very much Christine, it is such a lovely feeling to know there are others out there I can communicate with that care and understand! Have a lovely Easter too, gentle cwtshes ((hugs)) from Wales xx
  • Posted

Hello PiliPalaB4ch,

What a worrying time you are having. Just weighing in with my support. and wishing you the best. I expect you know Fibro is usually diagnosed by a process of eliminating everything else. Also sometimes, not always, the pressure point test. It seems that the Rheumatologist often does the diagnosis, too. Please let us know how you are getting on.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

hi AnneThank you for your support, I can't start to say how much it means to me that people take the time to read my worries and reply with their kind thoughts. I have quite a journey ahead, but I will get through this as it has now started and I am being taken seriously! 

I will continue to blog this journey, thank you again.

Have a good Easter weekend

Ceri x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.