Blood test results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

Not sure if anyone can help but... 

last year I was having a lot of symptoms so had some blood tests done the ones that flagged up were;

red blood cell folate 177 ug/l  LOW

(220.0-9999.0) 

Total white blood count 3.7 LOW

(4.0-11.0) 

Red blood cell count 3.70 LOW

(3.8-5.8)

Mean cell haemoglobin level 34.6 HIGH

(28-33) 

I also had a high MCV (don’t have the details of this one) 

I was put on folic acid 5mg for life, not much else was said. They didn’t mention the white blood cells count being low I only found that out today when I asked for a print off of last years results. 

Lately I have been struggling again 

So so tired, no energy, muscle weakness, shortness of breath, pale skin and dark eyes, tingling backs of calves, few other bits. So I went back for a blood test today. I guess my question is does anyone have an idea what it could be, why was my white blood cell count low. I have megaloblastic anaemia and so I was reading about it, the issue stems from the bone marrow. Of which also produces white blood cells. So now I’m worried my bone marrow is not right. I am 31 year old health female, I have controlled epilepsy but haven’t had a seizure in years. 

Any ideas? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

Your CBC results(except WBC)are typical for megaloblastic anaemia.It also sounds like your doc is not giving you enough information.I suggest that you visit a hematologist and bring him all lab tests.He will probably do some more extensive tests(ferritin,transferin,LDH,bilirubin,b12,folate,blood smear).Based only on CBC i cant really tell why you have low WBC.It can be 50 different things including a mild infection.Women get anaemias really easy.But again only a hematologist can diagnose that.

Keep us updated

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi George, 

Thank you for you reply. 

I did have all of those other blood tests last year and they were all within range, other than the ones I posted. I am due to see the doctor on 31st Aug to discuss the results of the blood tests I had today and then make a plan to see what to do. 

I will get back to you with the new results when I get back from the gp.  (as those results above are last years) 

The main reason I went to the doctors last year was I suspected a b12 deficiency, yet my b12 was 297 (190-800) so that was normal too.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hi George. 

So I went back today for my results. 

It seems my megaloblastic anaemia has corrected itself.  All of the Fbc was normal except mean cell heamoglobin level was high. 

I had low TSH but normal T4 and T3. 

High ViT D. 

So the gp thinks it is chronic fatigue syndrome. I’m being referred to a clinic for that. 

Doctor wasn’t very pleasant. I felt I was wasting his time. He also said that even with the results I had last year (the ones in the original post) that I am not classed as aneamic. He just confused me and made me feel like it’s all in my head: 

So I guess I will just wait for the chronic fatigue clinic and go from there, they tend to do CBT therapy which I’ve had before and thought it was a waste of time. 

Just thought I’d update you as promised 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi!

Fatige,muscle weakness  can be a sign of hypervitaminosis D.I would advise you to repeat the thyroid function test in 3 months,as low TSH and normal T4 T3 could indicate the begining of sublinical hyperthyroidism.Do you have rapid heart beats or excessive sweating-they are signs of hyperthyroidism.

The muscle weakness and fatige can be due to low magnesium and vitamins from the B group..There are tablets with Mg and Vit B complex.

• Posted

Hi George, 

When I questioned the low TSH he insisted it was fine as my t3 and T4 was normal. Yet I did read about the subclinical hyperthyroidism yesterday. Do you think it’s worth going private to get a full in-depth blood test in 3 months rather than my gp? 

Even though he did a blood test this time he didnt check my b12 or folate which is what I asked for. Because I was thinking the 5mg I take for the folate deficiency might not be working. My b12 last year was just in range and my folate was low. I do get nightsweats, I wake up wet through sometimes yet I’m mostly always cold. Rapid heart beat I had last year, they said it was anxiety and put me on propanol for it to take as and when. 

Do you think its worth going private? 

Is there any symptoms that I should keep an eye out for regarding thyroid? 

Thanks George 

• Posted

I would recommend that you do the following test in 3months:

-CBC

-blood smear under microscope

-reticulocytes

-B12

-folate

-LDH(lactate dehydrogenase)

-TSH,T3,T4

I dont know how the health care system in your country works but where i live if a doctor gives you a paper with what lab tests to do,you only pay bio-waste tax.If you go to a private laboratory it is much more expensive.If you dont think that your doctor is helpful you can do it in a private lab.The tests that will be more expensive are the thyroid hormones,b12 and folate.

Can you feel any swollen lymph nodes in your neck?

• Posted

Also what is the situation with the folate?Are you still taking the supplements

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.