Blood test results need help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Here are my blood test results from every test I had done regarding thyroid function.

November 2011

TSH - 5.2 (0.2-4.2)

Free T4 - 16.8 (12-22)

Jan 2012

TSH - 2.2 (0.2-4.2)

Jan 2013

TSH - 0.69 (0.2-4.2)

Anti-thyroid autoantibodies - 84,000 (no range, sorry)

May 2013

TSH - 22 (0.2-4.2)

Free T4 - 10.9 (10-22)

(thyroxine started at 25mcg, then 50mcg and then 75mcg)

Aug 2013

TSH - 4

(thyroxine moved up to 125mcg)

Nov 2013

TSH - 4.3 (0.2-4.2)

Free T3 - 5.5 (4.1-6.8)

Free T4 - 15.3 (10-22)

(thyroxine moved up to 150mcg)

Dec 2013

TSH - 4.6 (0.2-4.2)

Free T4 - 15.6 (10-22)

Anti-TPO Antibodies - 41,000 (>34)

Vitamin D - 43.6 (<75) folate="" -="" 4.1="" (4.6-18.7)="" ferritin="" -="" 22="" (30-400)="" jan="" 2014="" tsh="" -="" 2.7="" (0.2-4.2)="" feb="" 2014="" tsh="" -="" 3.6="" (0.2-4.2)="" mar="" 2014="" tsh="" -="" 1.87="" (0.2-4.2)="" free="" t3="" -="" 4="" (3.1-6.8)="" free="" t4="" -="" 16.6="" (10-22)="" anti-tpo="" antibodies="" -="" 33,500="" (="">34)

Anti-TG Antibodies - 103,500 (0-115)

Total Thyroxine - 101 (59-154)

As well as the thyroxine I take Vitamin D at 3000IU and Vitamin B12 at 1000mg. Also iron at 20mg.

My results are pretty much normal but I don't know why my symptoms have not really changed. I've already come off a heavy period, still have constipation, fatigue, depression and mood swings. Also cold intolerance has come back and my body temperature is still low. I cannot make sense of any of it.

Thanks for your help. smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Perhaps read up on adrenal fatigue. Maybe there is something else going on. I had an overactive thyroid, took medication, got a blood test with "normal" results, but still felt awful.

I talked with people and did some internet research, and realized that I have adrenal fatigue. So, it is my adrenals that I need to focus on now...not my thyroid.

Many doctors will only focus on the one issue, and not look at things holistically. My doc (who is a D.O. and works at a clinic that "specializes" in hormonal issues) basically blew me off when I told her that I still felt bad even though my thyroid levels were in normal range. She said, "It just takes a while to heal."

Well, I don't have "a while." My symptoms are debilitating, and I felt I was getting worse, not better.

I have all the symptoms of severe adrenal fatigue. Even more milder cases will cause symptoms. Constipation, fatigue, mood swings, depression (I have them all)...are all common symptoms of adrenal fatigue.

So I am beginning to address that issue now. Unfortunately, many doctors know hardly anything about adrenal fatigue and conventional docs many not even recognize it as a valid medical condition.

Perhaps researching adrenal fatigue and doing some reading will help you determine if it could be what you have. If so, you may want to also consider seeing a naturopath, who will most likely know a lot about adrenal fatigue and how to treat it.

If you are open to going the herbal route, "ashwagandha" is an herb that has helped many. It is an adaptogenic herb, meaning it will balance your hormones, no matter if you are deficient or have excess. It has been proven to help both thyroid and adrenal issues.

However, you don't want to take any prescription drugs along with herbs. You will have to choose which route to take. I started a thread regarding ashwagandha on this site that will help you begin your research if you choose.

It has helped me already in the short time I've been taking it.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Good luck!

Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronia! Thanks for your reply.

I have recently seen a naturopath and she has said the following:

- I am low on zinc, protein, iron, folate, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. I currently supplement with Vitamin D, iron and B12 but she told me to stop taking folate supplementation even though the supplementation was 200% of the RDA.

- She muscle tested me and has said I only have ONE strong "chakra" - that one being the hypothalamus. The others - located in my pituitary, parathyroid glands, adrenals, gut, ovary and the thyroid which was especially bad are not working as well.

- She also said I have a build-up of lymph in my legs but my legs are not fat or big. They're short and slim! :o

- I had a diet that lacked any protein and mainly focused on carbohydrate and starch.

- She recommended I take Bio-Kult, T-Convert, Nutrigest, multi essentials, wholefood iron and Rosehips. Unfortunately I do not work and these supplements, whilst important I start them, are too expensive despite looking on Amazon and eBay for better deals.

I have been charting my temperature and my temperature is low at 36.2 degrees Celsius. I have not gained any weight - if anything I'm getting thinner than fatter and I had an ACTH stimulation test done in January which was normal. However my basal cortisol was high at 622 nmol/L.

Thanks for your help regarding ashwagandha. I'll look into this as long as it's affordable.

Jo xxx

• Posted

Hi Sunnylax, I really don't feel qualified to comment on your thyroid situation but I do have knowledge about some of your blood test results ie. the folate and ferritin which are both below normal. Hypothyroidism and anemia can go hand in hand in a lot of cases. Last year I became Hypothyroid after a doctor inadvisably and irresponsibly lowered my Oroxine thyroid meds. Whilst I was researching my situation I came accross the anemia information so I asked a doctor to do a blood test for anemia. It came back normal but low. I decided that as I was feeling so wretched I would take a short course of iron tablets and see if I improved. Btw I am 67 years old and was in otherwise good health until the hypothyroid episode. After taking the iron for just a few weeks I noticed a huge improvement in my hip joints which had been painful and bothering me for a year. Now the hip joints are perfect and I just take the iron about three times a week for maintainence. I take FGF Iron and Folate - which is made up of Dried Ferrous Sulphate 250mg and Folic Acid 300mcg. As you are below the normal range you need to be sure that the iron supplement is an adequate dose as above. Also it sounds like you don't have a very nourishing diet, if you can improve your protein intake I think you will notice an improvement. I understand the problems with taking iron if you are already consitpated. People seem to have good results when taking Floradix Liquid Iron Extract which is gentle on the stomach. Body temperature can also be low when anemic. My lowest was 35.1 when I discovered that I had become hypothyroid. I hope some of this might help you. Good luck! smile
  • Posted

Hi Sketchy thanks for your reply.

I've had more pain in my joints and muscles which I can only assume may be down to the anemia. Funny thing was my doctor told me I was not anemic as I had normal red blood counts but just my ferritin was low.

My nutritionist put me on a better diet which is more nourishing, yes, but to make matters worse I have to cut out gluten and dairy!

I was recommended by some friends to take Spatone which is the iron supplement I use, but even though one sachet contains the RDA of iron I do not feel any benefit whatsoever so I will look at the FGF you take yourself. Thank you for suggesting that as well as the Floradix. smile I know Boots stocks Floradix but it is quite expensive for someone like myself who does not work.

I still think the missing link is T3 medication - but I know I will have a fight on my hands to be prescribed it.

Thanks for your reply and your help! smile

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.